Chapter Twenty Seven

LYRA
_____

I had just walked down the last step on the stairs when I witnessed Alexander tear at the unfamiliar wolf's throat, killing him in a swift motion.

I gasped, bringing my hands to cover my mouth at the shock that sprung through me. Alexander's head snapped up in my direction the second he heard me, and he immediately dropped the lifeless stranger on to the ground before he rushed to embrace me.

"Who was that?" I whispered, as Alexander wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"We are leaving," he told me, after pulling away to examine me as if to check if I was alright. "You are not safe here."

"What do you mean?" I asked, in pure terror, my brows knitted as I eyed him.

His eyes were charcoal, his jaw squared. "Baby, I do not know who that was," he elaborated, his voice hard. "I have to send you to the underground until I can make sense of what is happening."

"I'm not going," I informed him, crossing my arms.

"Lyra, I do not have time for this conversation," he growled, narrowing his dark eyes at me. "You are going and that is final."

I didn't have time to argue with him when he tightened the night gown around me and guided me out of our house. He was only wearing a pair of boxers, but that was clearly not his biggest concern. It was, however, my wolf's main problem right now. But I ignored her.

It was dark outside, but I could already see Dyami rushing over, with a couple of men from the pack behind him.

"Luna," he acknowledged me, bowing his head slightly before he turned to Alexander. "I was returning home when Adam notified me that something was off."

"Why did you not tell me right away?" Alexander boomed, his voice angry.

"I didn't have time," Dyami responded, his jaw clenched. "By the time I reached the grounds, a couple of wolves had trespassed. How one of them managed to reach the pack house is quite concerning."

"Where are the other wolves?"

"Dead," the beta responded. "They shouldn't have been able to trespass with the amount of guards on shift, but I believe someone helped them."

Alexander snarled, making me snap my head up to glance at him. His canines were visible, his eyes dark and intense. I placed my hand over his nude chest, to try and calm his wolf.

His gaze landed on me, with brows pulled together and concerned eyes. "You have to go, baby," he urged, his voice pained. "I need to make sure that you are safe before I can protect the pack. Please."

"How often have I been safe in that underground?" I asked, my voice low but there was definitely a hint of frustration to it. "I am safer with you, you know that."

Alexander narrowed his eyes, and at first, I genuinely thought he was going to agree, but then he shook his head.

"No, Lyra. I will not risk it," he said, adamantly. "You will join the pups and the she-wolves in the underground."

I scoffed, but decided to listen to my wolf, knowing damn well that if anything, I would keep the members in the underground safe if anything was to happen— which I had a good feeling would.