14😈

Y/N POV

"Mr. Wentz, I don't understand what you mean when you say you will not pay me for my services." Leaning back in my chair, with one leg crossed over the other.

I cracked my knuckles while speaking into the microphone on my headset.

 I am sharing a conference call with a client I delivered my project end report to.

"We don't believe you could breach our security as quickly, or with as much ease, as you claim," said the voice on the other side of the line.

 It snuffles and harrumphs before continuing. "You must be running a scam, have had an inside connection, or some different tactic. We demand you reveal your accomplice so we may take proper legal action."

I rub my forehead, leaning my elbow on the arm of my office chair.

 Taking a long swig from the steaming cup of coffee in front of me and count to ten.

It is not turning into a good morning, the downhill spiral started when I received an email from my client stating they believed they didn't owe me the fees I charged. 

The misogynistic bastard on the other end of the line was wearing thin any patience I had.

"Mr. Wentz," I speak with a firm tone, "I don't have an accomplice nor am I running any scams. You hired me because your company believed your software was unhackable. I have proved your company incorrect in that assumption. You hired me because you wanted the best. I am the best." My claim isn't baseless either. 

After winning several national hackathons, I made a name for myself in the industry. 

The most significant hardship I run into is feeling out clients, to make sure their requests were on the right side of the law.

"I still don't believe your skills would be enough. Tell us the name of the man who helped you and we will pay him the fees directly."

Growling, I take another long sip of my coffee.

 I know the long pauses between my answers drive my clients crazy.

For some reason, some men liked to discount the achievements of women in technology, wanting to feel superior to their female counterparts.

"I assure you, I am the one who breached your software. You will pay me. The money your company owes me will be in my account tomorrow by the end of the business day. If the money isn't there, I will enact my contractual right to halt the functioning of your website."

"You're insane," came the upset voice from the other end of the line. "There is no such provision in our contract."

"Page thirteen, paragraph four, section seven dash A," I say waiting until the shuffling of pages subsides, picking at my thumbnail with my forefinger.

"You can't-," he stuttered.

"I can and I will Mr. Wentz," I say cutting him off without allowing him to finish. "Even if you could find a company to fix all the outlined security flaws I sent you in one day, it wouldn't matter. I would still be able to break through them. Your website will go down, you will lose millions of dollars in revenue from the loss, and your company will suffer from a PR nightmare."

"Are you threatening me?" The man was yelling into the phone now, sounding like he was about to have an apoplectic fit, that's how I  know she had him.

 I can't help the smirk that spread across my lips.

"I never threaten. I simply inform. Threatening would be to tell you it would be a shame if the people who referred me to you found out you are trying to bilk me." I answer hiding the smugness in my voice, tapping my fingers on the desk in front of me.