4: first kisses

Everleigh

"Sasha!" I exclaimed, running over to my best friend

"Sasha!" I exclaimed, running over to my best friend. It had been four months since the beginning of our friendship, and I had never been happier to go to school just to see him.

He whipped his head over to me with a big smile on his face as I caught up to him. Once I was at his side, I breathlessly hunched over. I was not exactly known for being the most in shape. I relied on my brain rather than my athletic abilities forever. As I stood there, trying my best to catch my breath, I'm sure it was obvious.

We had just gotten out of school when I spotted Sasha walking. It didn't take me long to run after him seeing as my father was going to be late for picking me up from school, so it wasn't like I had anything better to do.

"Evie," he greeted. It was a nickname only he had gifted me.

I never had a nickname before him, and I grew to love it so much. I began to the ish everyone would call me Evie instead of my actual name. However, it only felt special coming from Sasha's mouth.

"What are you doing?" I smiled.

He looked off into the distance before grabbing ahold of my hand and dragging me to who knows where. I laughed as I followed him, running away from school and racing into the forest. The thought of walking into the forest right beside our school building always terrified me, but for some reason, I felt safe around Sasha. I knew nothing bad would happen for as long as he held my hand.

We kept running until we were at a lake. The moment we arrived, I sat my backpack down and went over to the water where I could see a reflection of myself. My curls were falling slightly past my shoulders and my brown eyes peered back at me with such curiosity.

Then, I could see Sasha standing right beside me. I smiled at his reflection, and I was so happy when I saw him smiling back.

"You are so pretty," I complimented.

"Pretty?" he questioned.

I turned away from the water to look at him. His brows were pulled together as I sat down and dragged him with me.

"Yes, pretty," I said.

He was still confused so I reached over to touch his face. I let the pad of my finger glide over his nice bone structure all the way down to his lips with a smile on my face.

"Pretty," I repeated. "Like... beautiful or..." I tried to think of a word he might be familiar with. "Handsome."

"Handsome," he nodded in familiarity.

"Yes, it's like handsome but pretty is more for girls," I explained with a shrug.

Suddenly, realization came across his face as he finally understood the word. It was one of my favorite things to see. I loved when I taught him something and he was able to grasp the meaning. I'm pretty sure the feeling was mutual when he taught me something in Russian. It was like with every word, we only grew closer.