18 : slamming doors

— Everleigh

I couldn't shake the feeling that everyone was looking at me

I couldn't shake the feeling that everyone was looking at me. I wasn't conceited or self-absorbed, but it was like every person in the world had eyes on me, and they were reading me like an open book. Every step I made, every wave I bid, and every direction I looked... I felt like I was being watched.

I turned around and eyed my surrounding to see if I noticed anything unusual. There was nothing. My eyes narrowed as I made my way to the front of the club where the bouncer immediately recognized me.

"Hey, E!" Clyde, the bouncer, exclaimed. He was a bigger guy. Despite his angry demeanor and resting bitch face, he was the sweetest guy I had ever met. I never understood the phrase 'gentle giant' until I met him. I remembered how scared I was to meet Clyde, but the moment I introduced myself as 'E', his entire face lit up and all my nerves melted away.

I always introduced myself as 'E' because everyone always made it their mission to talk about how 'white' my first name was. I never thought I'd be insecure of my name, but there I was... going by a letter in the alphabet to avoid hearing laughter and jokes about 'Everleigh.'

"Hi, Clyde! How's the night been going?" I asked him. I ignored all the people standing in line, trying to get a spot into the club. I knew they were probably growing agitated based on the loud puffs of air and groans they let out as we talked.

"It's pretty packed tonight," he answered.

The streetlights were bouncing off Clyde's bald, brown head as he slightly bent over to open his little gate as he had set up to help regulate people coming into the club. After checking a woman and her group of friends' IDs, he let them in just before shutting the gate again.

"Sounds like more tips." I chuckled.

"Got that right!" he exclaimed.

"Alright, well, I guess I better go clock in. See you after?" I asked him.

"I'll be here," he said. With that, he went to go check more people into the club. The moment I entered, the loud music hit me like a bus. The bass moved throughout my entire body, and the LED lights in the dark room forced me to take a minute to adjust to them.

"E!" Xyah shouted over the music. She was supposed to be off of work, but apparently she had other plans. Plans like getting drunk. She was swaying back and forth as she caught up to me and latched onto me.

"E! My baby!" she yelled.

I looked down to see her dressed in a mini-dress. It was white with cut-outs along her waist. She looked very cute.

"What are you doing here? Are you by yourself?" I asked her. The thought of abandoning my whole shift and just walking her home crossed my mind.

"It's not like you care," Xyah told me. My brows came together at her assumption. Of course I cared.