9 : winners and losers

Everleigh

I had just gotten out the shower when I wrapped a towel around myself and stepped into my room

I had just gotten out the shower when I wrapped a towel around myself and stepped into my room. It was so much colder than my bathroom and all I could do was shiver as I pulled out my drawers and gathered my clothes.

A sigh pushed past my lips when loud music boomed throughout the entire apartment. It was bad enough that I had to listen to it all day at work. I really wanted to come home, relax, and give my poor, exhausted ears some rest.

After slipping on some panties, a oversized tee, and some shorts, I quickly braided my curls into two thick french braids, and walked out of my room. Xyah was in the living room sitting on her boyfriend's lap with some of his obnoxious friends sitting beside them. They didn't seem like much but they had money for days.

"Come join the party, E. We're celebrating," Andre said, smiling at me. Andre was puerto-rican and black—he made sure to remind me every single day. He had little coils all around his head with a high taper fade. He was lighter in complexion. He always made sure to rock the newest pair of Jordan's, using the money he won from all the gambling he did but could almost never afford. He dropped out of college a year ago, becoming a full-time gambler.

"Celebrating what, exactly?" I asked.

"The big fight tomorrow. We're gonna make a lot of money," Andre's friend, Malik, said, grinning at me almost flirtatiously. It could have all been in my mind, but I always felt like anything Malik did was flirting.

He was some musician's grandson. Malik came from a lot of money but he never really flaunted it, unlike Andre who didn't have a lot of money. Somehow, Andre always walked around looking more wealthy than Malik.

"How can you be so sure?" I asked him.

"We put ten thousand on Kayo... double or nothing. Kayo has never lost a fight, he's going to win," Andre said. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

"And if he loses, then what? You're short ten-thousand dollars which is a lot of money," I said.

I looked at Xyah, hoping she would back me up but she was silent. I hated anytime he was around, she always acted like she couldn't go against him.

"Have you seen him? 6'7, shredded, tatted, bad-to-the-motherfucking bone. Trust me when I say he's not going to lose," Tyler interrupted. Tyler was white, and he had the blue eyes and light brown hair to prove it. He was also the group's target for any dark humored joke ever. Sometimes, I felt bad for him until he would touch my ass without my consent.

He was the son of some attorney. Tyler was in law school, ready to follow in his father's footsteps. I had no clue how he ended up hanging out Andre and going to an underground fighting arena every weekend.

"Did this dude just say 'bad-to-the-motherfucking bone?'" Malik laughed. It didn't take long for Andre to join in.

"On some Conor McGregor type shit," Andre added in, laughing even harder.