chapter 2

Sunday, Training field seven…

Naruto, in his off duty gear, dived under a branch in pursuit of the package. Kakashi was having him practice the capture and retrieval aspect of ANBU, and his tiny summons Pakkun was deceivingly elusive for his size. Naruto refused to give up however- ramen was on the line!

Ever since Naruto joined ANBU he had a sneaking suspicion everyone hated ramen- or at least him going to get ramen. Monday through Saturday lunch and dinner were packed affairs to save time while Sundays were too exhausting for him to want to trudge across town in the opposite direction of the apartment for ramen. The couple of times Hikaru treated him they always stopped at the "Bent Kunai," a bar and grill for active/former ANBU. Deliveries were impractical as well for his favorite food. Naruto was stuck to instant ramen and a thief was going around the complex that only stole the instant cups. It was an outrage, as the bastard was able to bypass every trap he set up, even the barrier seals.

But Kakashi had given Pakkun a scroll to carry today. If Naruto caught him he would be treated to unlimited ramen at Ichiraku's. Nothing would hinder his quest.

Almost there. The pug diverted himself from a mud pit trap and blindly charged past another set of explosive tags.

Closer. Pakkun rounded a corner, where five clones waited. He dodged three but two more were waiting with a net and glue.

"I hate you" he growled in a rough voice as he tried to clean his paws off. Naruto smirked and grabbed the scroll.

"I win!" A slow clap sounds from behind. Kakashi and Dragon materialized from the trees.

"Impressive; only one hour to capture and even I couldn't track Naruto most of the time." Kakashi complemented with an eye smile. Dragon whistled.

"To keep up with a ninkin after only a month. Not too shabby. Not good enough, but almost passable." Naruto beamed at Dragon's roundabout praise. Dragon was harsh at times- bi monthly inter squad training he led still left bruises on Naruto's spleen- but he was fair. If Dragon said it was "almost passable" then it was "almost good" by normal standards.

Then again, Naruto was in ANBU- everyone else's standards didn't apply to them.

"Thank you Sempai, Commander." Naruto bowed. Before he would of loudly proclaimed how of course he was awesome, but that died the day Iruka almost did. Well, that and Tenzo tazed him or burned a ramen cup every time he boasted or acted rude. So much precious wasted.

"I think you earned the ramen, Naruto, my treat." Kakashi noticed Dragon back away slightly to the side but didn't think much of it.

Until he was flapping in the wind as Naruto forcibly dragged him towards the stand.

"What are we waiting for! Ramen calls me! Blessed ramen, here I come!" Poor Kakashi could only hope to survive the hyperactive blonde's charge as the boy slipped from serious 'on duty mode' to 'kid mode'.

Ramen stand…

Kakashi was regaining conciseness in time to see Naruto devour his seventeenth bowl.

"Keep em coming, Teuchi! Kakashi-sempai is paying!" Naruto cheered. Teuchi chuckled, glad his favorite blonde was back- his stand needed the money.

"Naruto! Where have you been for a month? Even your apartment was cleaned out!" Ayame swatted Naruto with her towel to gain his attention. Seeing the red aura surround his 'big sister' he gulped.

"W-well, Ayame. I passed and am now a part of"

"A special assignment for the Hokage" Kakashi interjected. ANBU weren't really supposed to advertise their status- those that figured it out, fine. Otherwise? Need to know only. He shoots Naruto a meaningful look, at which point the blonde nods.