chapter 10

Jinchuuriki training area, two days later…

Naruto lay on the earth, wood binds covering him while he panted. Skin was slowly re growing as even the fifteen seconds in the four tails equated to his outer skin burning off.

"Four tails is obviously too much for now. We'll go slow then and build up from the bottom until we figure out why four tails had that violent of a reaction." Tenzo said from his sitting position. Jiraiya was off to the side. Naruto nodded in agreement, but the sage frowned.

"He could control that much with practice!" Jiraiya claimed. It was his idea to make Naruto ask Kurama for more chakra than the one and a half tails he could use at any time without problems. The result? A mini-kyubi Naruto letting off a primal roar and almost ripping Tenzo's throat out.

Why can't I control four tails? He asked Kurama. The fox grunted.

You haven't passed the next stage. Until then three tails will be your max.

What's the next stage?

I won't tell you at this point. Kurama growled. Naruto scowled.

Why not?

You're not ready and you're most definitely not worthy.

What do I have to do then?

…I'm not sure. Now leave me alone, human. Naruto winced at that slightly; when Kurama went to 'human' he was on his breaking point; only 'flesh bag' or 'damn human' were worse. Deciding to let the fox cool from whatever had him in a bad mood Naruto turned towards his bickering teachers.

"And I say that if I loosen the seal he'd be able to use more tails without the back lash!"

"No. To do so would be foolish; Naruto is my responsibility and the Hokage wouldn't approve of messing with the seal." Tenzo barked back.

"He should force the power and will it to him- not succumb to its rage. It's not the seal that's at fault but his resolve I'd say."

"What would you know? Kushina-sama only accessed a tail's worth of chakra in the most dire of circumstances and Konoha has never trained another Jinchuuriki. Our spies are digging on any information of how Kumo does it but until then we proceed with caution."

"Listen, boy, I'm a seal master so it would be fine"

"And I'm his captain who says no"

"Well I'm his godfather"

"Hardly- his family is his squad, not a man who abandoned him!" Silence rang out from that last statement. Jiraiya looked as if he was struck while Tenzo fumed at the man's audacity to suggest tampering with the most complex seal in existence. Naruto takes the silence as his chance to speak.

"Kurama says I have to pass the next stage, what ever that means."

"And? What is this 'next stage?" Tenzo prompted.

"He won't say- I'm not worthy yet or something."

"Sigh, three tails in control is still impressive- you're almost as fast as Guy with his weights on using three tails. Four was blinding though I couldn't gage it. Take the rest of the day to rest, tomorrow we'll start refining your control of the tails." Naruto nodded then turned to his sort of teacher in pity; the man was trying, he knew it, its just he kept failing spectacularly.

"Hey, Jiraiya-sama, want to get something to eat?" He asked. Jiraiya looked up hopefully then grinned.

"Of course, gaki! fish, my treat!" He slings the blonde over his right shoulder. Naruto groaned as his torn muscles and patched skin howl.