chapter 22

Hokage's office, moments later….

Naruto rubbed the back of his head nervously when his leader sighed. Kurenai keptgaping in a manner not unlike a fish while a quiet snort could be heard from the rafters.

Hikaru, the blond groaned mentally. Of course his sempai would find amusement in the situation. Pushing those thoughts aside Naruto straightened up, clearing his throat.

"Yes, well, the reasoning is quite simple: Miss Kurama's containment seal on her powers that doubles as a chakra suppressant is slowly eating away at her psyche, resulting in her Id gaining ground."

"Hold on, how do you even know this?" Koharu asked the blond ANBU pointedly before turning to Sarutobi. "I don't recall giving the Jinchuuriki the clearance to any files relating to Yakumo Kurama, Hiruzen." The Hokage gave a quick and silent glare to his former team mate while Jiraiya was more vocal.

"Can it, you old coot. You can't talk about my godson like he's an object." The sanin took a breath to launch into a second triad but the Hokage's raised hand stilled him.

"Calm yourself, Jiraiya. While Koharu would do well to remember Naruto's status isn't all he is, I too wonder how he came to know this." All eyes turned to the youngest in the room besides Angel who was holding her breath.

"Yakumo and Kurama, my tenant, told me" he said. Flinches appeared in Koharu and Homura at yet another reminder of the Biju's link to the Jinchuuriki while Kurenai blinked.

"Naruto, your 'tenant' knows about Ids?" She asked. Naruto nodded.

"Yes. He's the one who informed me of what will happen if we leave the seal on…"

"And?" Sarutobi prompted. He wasn't fool enough to believe he made the right choice with Yakumo, but at the time it had seemed to be the only choice.

Originally Jiraiya would have performed the ritual of the Kurama girl with Kurenai being there for support. But he was unreachable at the time and the genjutsu clan had been calling for the heiress's extermination or containment.

Kakashi would have been the next choice but the one eyed jonin had been on a long term A rank mission in Iwa territory stopping a smuggling ring set up by Onoki to channel drugs into Konoha. He hadn't returned until three months prior to Naruto's disastrous graduation.

Finally, the buck should have stopped with the Hokage, but he justified letting Kurenai do the ritual as having an old man do the sealing on a technically civilian girl- and heiress- would have been less than appropriate had word gotten out. He had meant to check on the poor girl's seal months ago but like many things it became easier to just believe that since nothing was immediately wrong he could afford to put it off.

Naruto cleared his throat at his leader who looked lost in thought before answering.

"Within six months Miss Kurama's seal containing the Id will break and allow that part of her mind to take over for a brief time. After the surge of power and chaotic release of her abilities, she will fall into a never ending coma, essentially becoming brain dead."

"Why don't we just reseal it?" Homura cut in. Naruto resisted a snort and settled on a long sigh.

"Because that would just delay the problem, Homura-sama. Sure a better seal done by Jiraiya-sama or even myself would hold strong for a couple of years, eventually it would break. If we keep reapplying one she would deteriorate more and more. However, taking the seal off completely and guiding her to face what is essentially her darkness would grant her safe access to her abilities once more. Miss Kurama would be able to utilize her abilities in combat even…" Naruto trailed off, still feeling odd about the situation. When he had informed Dragon-sama and Hokage-sama about him defeating his inner darkness the blond ANBU had ended up being scolded for his reckless decision to follow a Biju's advice and go off into the woods alone to battle half of his mind. Now here he was, recommending an almost identical process to one of the village's dark secrets. Silence greeted Naruto's proposal.