chapter 25

Konoha Hospital, thirty minutes later…

Yakumo looked at Naruto in a bit of shock, who in turn gave a sheepish grin. The two pre-teens were alone after the report, as Naruto had ended up telling the heiress exactly why he was in ANBU at such a young age.

"So…yeah. I'm our Jinchuuriki…of the Kyubi…who attacked our village, even if it wasn't entirely his fault. If it makes you uncomfortable, I understand. It's"
"Fascinating" Yakumo interjected, looking at Naruto in curiosity.

"F-fascinating?" Naruto asked, beginning to feel like a prized experiment under the girl's gaze.

"Yes, fascinating! I read in a book about Jinchuuriki and how all the major villages had one or more. When I asked if Konoha had one since we fought the nine tales, my parents slapped me and sent me to bed without dinner, claiming Konoha didn't need 'demons' to be on top." Naruto winced. "But of course they were ludicrous claims as it is clear the tailed beasts are chakra constructs, not actual demons." Naruto whipped his head up, eyes locking onto hers.

"You mean you don't think I'm a 'demon boy' or something to be avoided?" He asked. Jinchuuriki- even those not hated- were generally avoided by the civilians in their village, both for village security (anyone could be an assassin) and because of how disconcerting it can be to be around a human capable of wielding almost endless destruction.

Yakumo snorted at this.

"Of course not! And if I was used like a glorified chakra pill for hundreds of years, I'd take my revenge on the puny mortals too." She stated haughtily.

Mary her.

'W-what?!' Naruto mentally sputtered, only to hear Kurama sigh in contentment.

Her taste in presents need work, this mortal get's me! Marry her, nigen, and have generations of chaos loving babies that would do my bidding! Kurama cackled, causing Naruto to sweat drop.

'We need to discuss your tastes in…humans.'

"Naruto? Hey, fishy cake?" Yakumo asked in concern, causing Naruto to blink and get back to reality.

"Huh? Oh, sorry. Kurama- the kyubi-"
The one and only that matters, mortal.

"Was having a lapse in judgement. Anyways, you don't mind still being friends?"

"I suppose we can still be friends. BUT!" She held up a finger and stuck it in Naruto's face, dead serious. "Only if we go to this 'Ichiraku Ramen' place soon."

"Sure thing! In fact we can go" Naruto began excitedly only to be interrupted by his captain.
"Some other time; our mission has arrived, and Ferret wants his charge back." Tenzo popped in, Ferret materializing on the ceiling.

"…Of course, captain." Naruto said dutifully and caught the scroll with an extra uniform. Ferret jumped down and used a shunshin on himself and Yakumo, no doubt heading to the new safe house already set up for the heiress.

Within moments of Yakumo leaving, Naruto was already changed into his uniform, Mouse mask firmly in place. With a nod he and Tenzo set out towards the gates, Kurama growling at the ominous feeling that travelled down his spine.

In Otogakure…

Orochimaru didn't know whether to kill every subordinate in sight to ease his frustrations or chuckle in dark glee. So, he settled on both, leaving the sound five and Guren to watch from the side lines in morbid fascination as three of the surviving Oto nins from the attack were ripped in half as payment for their work.

Ten more fell before Orochimaru stopped and stroked his chin.

"Kukukuku, little Minato's child is a shinobi- ANBU in fact- and he's learned his mother's chains. It was always a pity I couldn't have that insufferable loudmouth Kushina when she was alive, her bloodline was downright fascinating; but alas, no time like the present to rectify that mistake. Guren!" He shouted. The kunoichi, still wrapped in bandages from her fight and out for blood, kneeled in front of her master.