chapter 7

Border between Konoha and River…

Naruto exhaled to keep from killing two of his comrades. Sasuke and Sakura's ability to work together had diminished to almost non existent within the span of three days. After Sasuke made the first remark, the Uchiha continued to do so with increasing viciousness, only this time aimed at both the team and the mission.

"This is pointless. I could be training, not waiting here to trade some pieces of paper." Sasuke said arrogantly. His attitude went sour and ego took a hit when Sakura decked both him and Sai during an argument last night. To save face the boy was no acting like a petulant child.

"Suck it up you jerk" Sakura growled. Sakura Haruno would never have treated her 'beloved' that way but ever since Hikaru began her medical training the girl took off her rose tinted glasses and actually saw both her teammates. The verdict? Both were assholes, though Sai was just clueless while Sasuke was the child who had to have his way. Sure he was improving over time, but this mission reverted him back to his bad habits.

"Both of you! Just… please shut up. We're on a mission and I don't want to be the one to explain to the council why Konoha now appears bad to our supplier of rice." Naruto rubbed his temples. Both now fueled their ire to him.

"What the hell Naruto! He/she started it." The two said simultaneously.

"Ugly and Dickless are childish" Sai pointed out. Naruto looked deep within himself.

Kurama. What should I do?

You're asking me?! I told you days ago to just kill them and be done with it- especially the Uchiha.

Sighing annoyance he let the Kitsune's bad advice go. WWDD- What would Dragon do? He pondered, and then tossed out Dragon's obvious choice of personal hell disguised as training- can't do that on a mission. Tenzo's method of fish eyes and creepy lighting weren't possible for Naruto either. Finally he settled on bribery.

"If you three can act professional until we return to Konoha- and I mean no fighting or bickering- I will teach each of you something. Sasuke, I'll let you copy some of my taijutsu moves, Sakura I'll show you the one genjutsu I know and Sai… how about I just give you some of my chakra smoke tags?" Each of the genin looked thrilled in their own ways.

"Hn. Fine." Sasuke rolled his eyes. He'd do anything for more training- even play nice with useless 'teammates'. For now, anyway.

"Yes, captain" Sai quipped blandly. As Root the pale boy was accustomed to following a superior's orders- only his standing mission of killing Sasuke Uchiha in the event of defection would over ride Naruto's orders in Sai's mind.

"Fine, but the next person who mocks me becomes my test subject next lesson with Hikaru-sensei" Sakura warned. With a quick nod Naruto clapped his hands.

"Since that's done it's time for me to tell you the real reason behind the mission." Naruto said, bringing three confused looks. "You are all aware of the increased activity of rogue shinobi and skirmishes." Naruto stated.

"Of course- Ino said we're prepping for war with somebody though she didn't know who" Sakura said. Naruto mentally noted to find out where Ino got her source- while not exactly top secret, genin shouldn't have been aware that war was even a path they were considering right now. As ANBU Naruto was in the know though- either during or soon after, Konoha would be in warfare be it with Suna, Oto, or another country that took advantage of the situation.

"Yes, but don't go spreading that around, as it's too early to confirm or deny that possibility. However, in wartime or times of tense relations ninja villages are unable to splurge on supplies as much and we can't afford to go year-by-year with food when conflict could make securing supplies impossible. That means today when the representatives and negotiators show up we will make them agree to continue to be our supplier even if another country tries to convince them otherwise." Three confused looks were aimed at him.