Chapter 41

Previously, on "From Academy To ANBU"…

"I have a mission for you, though Tiger knows it well."

Naruto resisted the urge to ask the question about waiting for his teammates, or the construction work he was supposed to help with. Despite the amazing number of things completed the day before, there were still more things to do. But when Dragon had a new mission, Naruto took it, without hesitation.

"It's an S-class again, and you must not get caught." Well, that was obvious, but there had to be more. "The mission is simple: capture a rogue shinobi who stole not only a certain object from us but is attempting to destroy any semblance of power balance."

Huh. Complicated. Just like every other assignment since he joined ANBU. "Understood, sir."

"No, I do not think you do, Mouse. If the fool succeeds, Suna will no doubt leap for the opportunity to replace the power lost from losing Gaara." Here Dragon paused to meet his gaze. "I am doing something I will admit is foolish, but necessary: I am sending you to Suna."

Naruto gaped. He could feel Kurama joining in on it, just as shocked.

"I cannot tell you much more, but a certain person will be there to help."

Hokage's office…

Naruto quirked an eyebrow at his Boss's frankly terrifying orders. Not because of the rank— he had Tenzo and Kakashi, two monsters on the battlefield. The premise of the mission itself seemed simple too.

But Dragon-sama, the man who always kept a type of cool-headedness that could be described as insufferable by Hikaru, was disturbed, hesitant. He looked the same as he stood behind the Hokage's desk, staring them down. It was just like an ANBU mission given at HQ. Dragon's voice was the same, even! Except his chakra was flickering.

Naruto really wished he was the team mate in the hospital.

Land of Rivers…

Three figures leapt from tree to tree, chakra suppressed and silent, all deep in thought. The air was heavy between them, each thinking of their task ahead, and the stakes of failure, of being caught.

Each wore a two-sided cloak and garbs of a nameless and village-less shinobi, darker side out to blend into the forest. River was more forest than its moniker, the trees as ancient as Fire country's and just as dense. The only difference was the undercurrent of moss and dampness that Naruto could barely smell in his disguise.

Anything linking them to Konoha had been left behind. Not even their ANBU masks were allowed, though they did wear some truly ridiculous masks instead. When three kilometers outside the village, when Tenzo had them burn their old clothes and masks and put the new ones on, he had simply raised an eyebrow and was grateful Konoha ANBU didn't use them as standard issue.

Naruto's vaguely resembled an owl, muted designs, and razor-sharp edges. Kakashi's was even more vague in its inspiration, while Tenzo's had six eye holes.

Supposedly several Konoha sponsored mercenary groups used them as calling cards. Unofficially, of course.

And now here they were, off to prevent the coming war from being one-sided.

"I do not like this," Kurama growled like he had every hour since they left the village. Naruto privately agreed, something seemed wrong.

"It's not a suicide mission, we know that" he reassured his friend. Dragon-sama would never do that. At least not without telling them first. And this mission did not have the flavor of that kind of mission goal.

"Obviously, Fleshbag; but we know nothing of the true intention of what that blasted Commander is."

"You said this was the first time you've sensed dread at sending me on a mission, right? And that hesitance…"