chapter 13

Moments after opening the door…

"I repeat, what are you doing in my apartment, sleeping in my BED?" Naruto tried again when it became obvious Hikaru was still half asleep. The older teen blearly sat up.

"Oh, chibi-kohai, I wasn't expecting you back until tomorrow" He greeted. Naruto's hand rested on a seal placed on the wall; just a burst of his specific kyubi chakra and hundreds of kunai would launch from a series of traps and converge on the futon and skewer Hikaru alive.

"Sempai, you have three seconds to start explaining why you're here and not in your own apartment or I will try out my new home security trap seals on you." Naruto threatened. Hikaru gulped.

"Heh, no need to get hasty! See, my apartment is infested with rats so I had to move out for the next week. We're room mates now!"

"Hell no. Why aren't you at hq, the dorms are there for a reason?" Naruto rubbed the bridge of his nose.

"Dragon-teme kicked me out for having 'no regards for tidiness' whatever that means and the captain and Yugao said you wouldn't mind!"

"…Just, how can a Hyuga be so…un-Hyuga like?" Naruto questioned when the shock caught up to him. "Your apartment is so messy that rats invaded, the dorms aren't capable of housing you, and everybody is pawning you off to me, the youngest" Naruto pointed an accusatory finger at his friend, who upon closer inspection had several articles of clothing, books, and weapons laying around. "Well I refuse to let you be this way, Hikaru! While you are here you will be neat and tidy"

"But cleaning is boring, you're just like Hiashi-sama, you don't understand that my apartment is like a canvas of art and art is messy!" Naruto shuddered in remembrance of his last mission.

"I won't tell you how to keep your…canvas, but this is MY 'canvas' and I happen to like seeing the floor with the use of the Byakugan. Clean this up while I'm in the shower or I'm telling Guy you want to room with him." Instantly Hikaru was cleaning the whole apartment, while a shadow clone of his dusted. A thought came to his mind. "Hey, Hikaru? I'll sleep on the couch tonight, as a reward for you actually cleaning."

Next morning…

Naruto stretched lazily at nine in the morning, and slowly took off the ear plugs 'from both his and Angel's ears. The cat mirrored his stretches.

"Naruto!" She purred at him as she received a back scratch. "Did we actually get to sleep in?"
"Yep! Hikaru just begged to be Guy's training partner today, so who were we to refuse?" Naruto chirped. Angel blinked.

"Huh?" Naruto chuckled.

"Don't worry about it; Let's go on a run before breakfast. We don't have to be at the training grounds until noon." He bit a thumb through his mask and did the summoning jutsu. Akira and Hisoka appear with dual yawns.

"What's the big idea, calling us so early?" Akira mumbles.

"Oh, just a proposition for you." Naruto replies easily.

Noon, training ground three…

Naruto strolled into the grounds to find a very irritated Kuranai, Asuma, and crying Guy, while the genin worked on various exercises.

"Naruto, you're late! We've been here since seven this morning, you were scheduled to start your traps and obstacle course two hours ago." Kuranai lectured in a chiding tone. Asuma snorted.

"Why are you surprised? Kakashi has been trying to make him a clone of his; lateness is just a part of it."

"YOSH! MY YOUTHFUL NEIGHBOR. LET US REIGNIGHT YOUR FLAMES OF YOUTH! HIKARU WASHED IN THE FLAMES OF YOUTH THIS MORNING! YOU'D DO WELL TO FOLLOW HIS EXAMPLE OF YOUTH." Guy kept rambling until Kuranai wacked him. Kuranai turned towards Naruto but he held up his hands.