chapter 35

Previously…

Orochimaru screamed in agony, the burns eating into his very chakra network, the wounds and the poisons killing him. His hands lay utterly devoid of their chakra network, making his body switch impossible with the other injuries.

If only Kabuto was here. Too bad he wasn't at his base where the samples of his medic lay ready for him to resurrect. Even then, the medic might not be enough.

He needed Tsunade. And now.

"Get the rest of your worthless team together, Kimimaro; we have a little road trip." The sannin hissed before downing several medications. They would only slow down the inevitable, but it would hopefully be enough.

Now, with Naruto…

Naruto looked at the night sky from his perch on one of the Land of Fire's many trees. Angel chewed on some fishcakes they purchased in the last town. The ANBU in disguise felt naked without his face mask, but the urgency of tracking Tsunade-sama down made even mental complaints scarce.

"Naruto, will everyone be okay?" Angel asked for the fifteenth time; his anxiety was getting to her, it seemed.

"I…honestly don't know Angel. It's been three days and we've been led in circles; Tsunade-sama is elusive, but the gambling competition in Tanzaku quarters might be enough to hold her until we arrive." Naruto tried to sound somewhat optimistic but was failing. Angel decided to drop the pestering and jumped up to rest in her partner's now messy brown hair; being able to henge (really a shape shift) into anything or anyone made being inconspicuous a piece of cake, especially as detecting something like changing his hair was nigh impossible with the young ANBU's skill. Getting to Tsunade in order to deliver her orders would be a piece of cake.

It was the 'convincing' the 'Slug Sannin' to follow them that sent shivers through Naruto's still tired body. With a final sigh, Naruto packed up the rest of his food and straightened his tattered cloak; they had eighteen hours to make it to Tanzaku Quarters for the start of the gambling championships.

Hours later and the cloudy night ended up forcing Naruto to channel Kurama's eyes, red slits illuminating the forest. Even with Kurama still sleeping, Naruto had access to the miniscule amounts of chakra needed for the eyes and the extra night vision they gave. Angel snickered.

"What?" He growled, keeping his guard up for any attacks. The hell cat flicked her tail in amusement, jumping beside him in the trees.

"I'm just remembering what Genma said about how your red eyes gave him the 'heebie Jeebies' ever since you used them in that mission."

"Hmm? Which mission, I've had to endure him and Hayate on several missions unfortunately." He groused.

"Oh, just the one you had to be a little noble girl!" Angel said. Naruto choked on air, hating that mission.

"That bastard- he promised never to talk about that, they all did!" Sure, he looked epic when he killed those Suna nins after the 'sleepover' part of the mission and made Konoha gain a long time employer with the shipping tycoon, but the teasing Hayate's squad gave him for having to be and act like a princess always grated on his nerves. Being a 'proper young lady' would never be one of his life goals. Unfortunately, everyone found amusement in that mission, namely Hikaru who still had photos (which Naruto blackmailed him into not spreading) and his adorable feline partner.

"Is it true that you fought three perverts in your kimono and flashed them to get an upper hand?" Angel asked excitedly. Naruto balked.

"W-what?! Where the hell did you hear that?!"

"Oh, the chunin gossip club of course." Angel said, looking pleased.

"…You know, sometimes I worry about your intelligence."