chapter 23

Rooftops of Konoha, with Naruto and Angel…

Two figures streaked across the tiled roofs of Konoha, one an undersized ANBU and the other an oversized cat. Chakra pulsed through their legs and eyes were razor sharp. Around them the roofs were filled with other shinobi, each headed towards their own assignments. The swarms of shinobi thickened as Naruto and Angel reached the far side of the village, towards the forests surrounding the prison. Already the blonde could feel the dark aura of hostiles, his senses augmented to the max by a blood thirsty Kurama; the fox was itching for battles.

Four familiar chakra signatures enveloped around the pair as the rest of Ro joined in, Tenzo taking point. Yugao and Deidara were flanking left and right while Hikaru took the back, Byakugan no doubt active at intervals.

'Mouse- we're assigned the furthest sector to catch any runners and the perpetrators.' Tenzo signed quickly turning to face the team. Naruto nodded in affirmation and moved towards the back with Hikaru while Angel took to the branches above.

'Captain, capture plan?' Naruto signed, coughing to get Tenzo's attention once more. The Hokage mentioned killing and making them hurt, but he had twenty prisoner scrolls just in case. Yugao answered with a blunt remark.

'For prisoners, try to capture unless deemed too dangerous. For the attackers, no survivors unless they surrender when we find them.'

Prisoner scrolls that wouldn't be used, apparently, as more than likely the criminals would attempt to fight back.

'…Understood, sempai.' He dutifully replied. Just then Hikaru clicks to draw attention and signs.

'Six hostiles, three hundred meters to the left on the ground, fleeing in our direction. Four more on the right converging towards us.' Without prompting the five ANBU and hell cat jump higher into the canopy.

Moments later the two groups Hikaru had seen meet up in the middle, amongst a small break of the dense foliage. Naruto strained his eyes as the full moon dipped behind clouds. He could make out the various forms of the ten, the group of six containing two mountainous men.

'On my signal- Mouse' Tenzo signed when the moonlight returned and Naruto instantly produced twenty five clones of various ANBU masks to hopefully intimidate them into surrendering.

Tenzo gave the mark and as one Ro landed in a circle enclosing the startled criminals.

"You have broken out of Konoha's prison in a futile attempt at freedom; surrender or die" Tenzo said monotonously, like he didn't care one way or the other.

Several of the prisoners looked intimidated by the show of force and tone, and two started raising their hands in surrender.

Until a familiar silver haired prisoner spoke up in a soothing voice.

"Fujin, Raijin, remember that Orochimaru-sama has an endless supply of food waiting for you."

"Food." The two now identified giants groan.

"Yes! Food! But- first you must take down these pesky ANBU who would take away your food." Mizuki pointed to the trees. The brothers saw red and roared.

"NO TAKE OUR FOOD! BROTHER!" The slightly bigger one shouts and they charge, uprooting the tree Tenzo was in and swinging around. In the chaos, several clones popped, and the once frightened prisoners gained angry expressions.

"Hey! That there ANBU was just a clone!" One, a man with an eye patch and missing teeth, shouted. A woman next to him sneered.

"Yeah, let's take em- I bet there's only one or two, and I used to be an Iwa chunin. We can take then!" She boldly declared and the rest of the group charged at Ro, who were by then hopping to various trees.