chapter 33

With Jiraiya…

Jiraiya, despite what the kunoichi population and his godson would say, did not only think about perverse pleasures. In actuality, his mind was a torrent of past regrets, mistakes, and heartbreaks crashing into one another so that only alcohol or writing could stop them. His past always haunted him and his decisions never left him satisfied.

Today was the worst. Worse than the day he left the orphans in Ame; worse than the day Orochimaru left and Tsunade turned him down; worse than the day Minato died and he declined his duty to look over his precious godson.

None of those days compared to how unsatisfied he felt with himself as Gamabunta stabbed Manda's second in command straight through the eye, dispelling the vile creature instantly. It wasn't satisfying, however, because he wasn't there.

He wasn't next to his sensei like planned, leaving his father figure to face the deranged psychopath known as Orochimaru with little backup (could any backup compare to a Sanin?). He wasn't helping Naruto seal the Shukaku like he secretly petitioned for months, being turned down at every corner. That inability led to him 'accidentally' forgetting to set more traps in the forests, having Naruto do it the day before the invasion so that the boy would know every inch of where he would be fighting.

Not being near his two most precious people in the village was difficult, but Jiraiya continued to smile. The chunin at the walls behind him gasped in awe as he used his needle hair to take down a young jonin, and cheered as Gamabunta dispelled yet another summons, though this one was a nasty three headed viper intent on eating through the shinobi population it was ordered to attack. While they cheered, Jiraiya would look back and give a reassuring smile or commanding order, knowing that the quicker he destroyed the main front, the sooner he'd be next to Sarutobi-sensei or Naruto, keeping them from becoming yet another ghost in his mind.

"Remember, no prisoners!" The Toad Sage bellowed once more as the survivors from their trapped forests and preliminary takedowns attempted to bypass Konoha's gates. Jiraiya nodded down towards Ibiki, who smirked viciously.

"You heard him, let's show these maggots why Konoha is still undefeated." The scarred interrogator ordered, helping take out the trash and erecting the shock tags on a hole Gamabunta accidentally caused; the five Oto shinobi who tried getting through there found themselves shocked to death, their screams shrill yet musical to Ibiki's ears.

Yes, Jiraiya decided, he would show these maggots the power of a Sanin, forcing himself to ignore the large purple enclosure at the stadium and the Bijuu chakra suffocating the air.

With The Hokage…

Sarutobi stared at his former student, sadness and fury evident in his eyes. The ANBU by his side were poised to fight to the death; their loyalty strengthened him.

"My old student… how far have you fallen?" He murmured in sorrow, the flakes of skin peeling off Orochimaru's face, set in a smirk.

"Why, whatever do you mean, sensei? I thought you'd be proud, seeing your favorite student achieve so much!"

"If you can call looking like a doll and growing your tongue 'achieving so much', then sure." One of the ANBU, Hikaru if he wasn't mistaken, quipped. Despite himself, Sarutobi snorted in amusement. As his former pride and joy hissed, Sarutobi prepared his best jutsus; it was time to fix his past mistakes.

With Shisui…

Dragon couldn't help but wonder if just recording Danzo's face at the moment he realized just who 'that blasted Dragon' was all this time would be enough.

"Th-that's impossible! You died- if not from my poison then by killing yourself in the Naka River. My agents"
"Were placed under my genjutsu, much like the eye I gave Itachi" Dragon cut in with a drawl. "Really, Danzo-chan, did you actually think I'd kill myself over a lost eye, leaving you free reign with said eye and no way to tell the Hokage what actually happened? I'll admit it almost killed me, but in the end you failed. Like always."