Chapter 5 - Day Court & Daggers

The heat smacked Elain in the face, burning and blinding her eyes as she fought to open them, squinting out at her surroundings. Heat crept up her cheeks, drying the tears she knew had welled before they even had a chance to drop down on the marbled surface beneath their feet.

Day Court.

Feyre had winnowed Elain and Nyx directly into the center of Helion's courtyard, joining Nesta, Nuala, and Cerridwen who had arrived only moments before. The enormous palatial grounds sprawled around the ladies, sweeping up towards columned arches spanning the width and length of a small village. The grandeur caused their breath to catch as they took in the impossibly tall palms swaying in the hot breeze, equal in stature only to the impressive columns of marble stacking toward the heavens, gracefully joined together by arches of gold-flecked marble.

Long swaths of silky curtains in various shades of peach, ivory, lilac, and gold swung down from the archways, billowing in the breeze. Fountains and reflecting pools webbed the gold and white marble courtyard which spanned across toward bordered edges exotic plants and flowers, sending a cooling mist over Elain's face. She heard, rather than saw, a rushing river somewhere nearby, carried along on the breeze with a harmony of plucked harp strings and chirping birds.

Gods.

It was unlike anything Elain had ever witnessed in her short lifetime.

The simple marble glowing under the hot sun was not carved with any intricate or overly fussy details, rather, it seemed that Helion had opted for minimalistic opulence, forming the palace into the very rock of the surrounding valley, following the natural curves of the landscape. The overwhelming beauty of the courtyard and surrounding palace rested in the sheer enormity of the architecture and surrounding vegetation.

"It seems that Rhysand has been hiding the crown jewel of Prythian in his Night Court!" A booming voice shook the glistening marble beneath her feet as Elain squinted toward the approaching stranger.

"Helion. Thank you for hosting my sister and her mate. We are in your debt." Feyre stepped forward, greeting the male with a bow of her head.

So this was Helion, Elain mused, surveying the tall broad-shouldered male before her. His dark caramel skin seemed to glow from within, adorned in a white length of fabric gathered at his shoulder, exposing his muscled upper body. Wreathed in a golden crown shooting out from onyx curls, his gleaming white smile was a stark contrast to his dark face. Striding across the marble with the sun at his back, Elain felt as if she were being greeted by the god of Sun himself.

Elain curtsied, more out of human instinct than Prythian manners or protocol, feeling overwhelmed by the attention and the grandeur surrounding them. Eyes crinkled and arms open wide, Helion closed the distance between them, setting his hands on her waist and kissing both of her cheeks before sweeping her into a hug which he expertly turned into a waltz and then a twirl, displaying her figure for appraisal before pulling her in tightly, his breath on her neck.

"My, my, my, the messengers and spies of Patras tell no lies. The most beautiful of the Made-Fae sisters has indeed come to stay." He purred directly into her ear.

Feyre and Nesta exchanged a glance, the latter rolling her eyes but they smiled at Helion cordially, Feyre calling over to the still-dancing duo, "and her fireling of a mate is coming to stay as well, Helion my friend."

"The more the merrier." Helion sniffed politely, releasing Elain who fell back in line with her sisters, Nesta taking her by the waist in what Elain felt was an overtly protective stance.

"Beron's seventh son, is it?" Helion cast a glance at Feyre. "Coming to see how the better half of Prythian lives no doubt."

Feyre opened her mouth to protest, but Helion turned his back, extending his arm and snapping his fingers. A line of linen-coiffed fae appeared before them, beautiful dark skin shining in the sun, their hair pulled away from their faces with gold string, pleasant smiles and warm expressions, and feet outfitted with coiled golden slippers. One by one, the line of fae bowed in Elain's direction.