Chapter 19 - What's This Little Tattoo?

Elain was tucked deep into her comforters, but could not stop shivering.

The cotton gown Nuala had pulled over her shoulders was failing to heat her freezing body, and she curled into a ball, images of the river water still flooding her mind. She tossed in the blankets, swearing lightly under her breath, as the door to her rooms opened. Gratitude flooded her senses as she started to sit up, deciding to ask Cerridwen for another blanket when she realized that it was not a wraith who had entered her room, but a Shadowsinger.

Shadows spilled into the room, lunging ahead of the tall male as he closed the distance between them in three strides, his wings contracting and flaring behind him, a noticeable posture of anger billowing from his shoulders. Coming near the edge of the bed, Azriel gazed down at her, his hazel eyes wreathed in concern.

Lifting a hand to her forehead, he rubbed his scarred thumb across her skin. "You're freezing."

She nodded, her voice hoarse from the sobbing. Azriel returned her nod, and without an invitation, he tore off the chained Day Court tunic, revealing his tanned broad chest, abdominal muscles jutting and cut into his core, his long legs exposed in tight undershorts. Her eyes widened as he approached the other side of the bed, lifting the covers and sliding in until he was next to her, his wings tucked behind him as he reached toward her, pulling her head to his chest in a single movement.

Elain felt his scarred fingers rubbing her back as he circled her ribs, pressing the rest of his body into hers, seemingly focused on willing heat into her soul. She shivered, either from the cold or his proximity, and closed her eyes, breathing in his scent and drawing closer to his skin, allowing the full power of his presence to soothe her aching heart.

"Thank you." Her hoarse whisper rang through the quiet, the drum beats of the Calanmai celebrations reverberating through the marble walls at a distance.

The Shadowsinger gave no reply, but he continued to hold her, drawing her head toward his mouth, pressing his lips to her hair. "It's beginning to curl again. I missed the curls." His voice was rough, his breath warm on her scalp.

Her mind trailed back to her enchanted straight hair. Her outfit. Her futile attempt at seducing Lucien. Even with her entire body on display for all of Patras to see. Shuddering, she curled into Azriel's warmth.

"I'm a fool." She whispered the thought out loud, closing her eyes to let a tear fall from her lid. "A damn fool."

"It's not foolish to try to gain your mate's affection." His voice was quiet, his breath warm on her curling hair. "Maybe a little foolish to drown yourself in the river over it though."

She laughed, pulling away from him to look at him directly. "I wasn't trying to drown myself." Closing her eyes and tucking herself under his chin, she released a sigh. "It was like the water was calling to me... beckoning me toward it. One moment I had my toes in, and the next I was plunging beneath the water, visions blinding me."

"Visions of what?" His gentle voiced caressed her heart, and though she knew she could tell him, a wave of exhaustion rolled over her, the champagne and lack of oxygen taking their toll.

Shaking her head, Elain saw again the face of the being from the lake, flashing and sneering in the darkness of her mind, clawing toward her, his ancient voice reverberating through her soul. Shuddering, she found herself wishing for a distraction from the darkness.

And as if he read her mind, Azriel laid back, pulling her onto her side, her head on his chest as his arm cradled her back, his hand clutching her waist as his shadows floated quietly above them. She placed a hand on his chest, sighing and listening to his steady heart beat.