Chapter 26 - Forest Friends

Elain followed closely behind Azriel, her eyes trained to the forest floor watching the mossy ground pass beneath her laced knee-high leather boots.

They had been walking slowly for most of the day, stopping briefly to eat, and she had been enjoying the change of climate, so different from the Day Court. A light mist was floating above the ground, towering cedars trees traveling up toward the heavens above them. It was dark in the forest, almost as if they had entered another realm. Glancing up toward Azriel's wings, she felt her heart flutter, barely able to believe they were alone in the forests of the continent together.

Elain had been shocked when Rhysand had joined her and Lucien during their brunch yesterday morning, making small talk and refilling their tea cups before propositioning her for a mission on behalf of the Inner Circle. She had never been requested to aid in any official missions, her efforts to help Feyre locate the Suriel being the extent of her assistance, and that had most definitely, NOT been official Inner Circle business.

Lucien had balked at the request, demanding to know the details as Elain asked Rhys how it was decided upon. She was just surprised they had gotten the vote past Nesta. Her sister had never been comfortable with Elain being in harms' way, let alone on an official mission.

Rhysand had let out a sigh, setting down his coffee. "You will not be going alone. Azriel will be your companion, and you must both traverse the area local to Koschei's lake undetected. We want to see if your visions increase or strengthen at the proximity."

Elain silently cursed her sister for not fighting against the idea. Azriel and Elain alone in the forest for three days? Really Nes? Didn't she want Elain to avoid becoming the next Lady of Autumn!?

Lucien cut into the High Lord's description with a growl. "Elain cannot go with the Shadowsinger alone. You're using her as bait! Not only is it dangerous, it's wildly inappropriate."

Rhys tossed a frank but charming look toward Lucien. "This is a mission. It's work. Elain is not bait, and you know for damn certain that she is safe with my Spymaster." He let out a sigh, drawing his hand to his temple. "Really Lucien, we don't have time for a territorial spat right now."

"I don't trust him." Her mate leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms and turned away, looking out toward the view of Patras beneath the veranda.

Elain's voice was a near whisper, her sad eyes gazing toward him. "You don't trust him, or you don't trust me?"

He turned to look at her, pausing, seemingly unable to reply to the question. She watched as his eyes darted across her face, a look of pained frustration brimming from his expression. Elain realized she hardly blamed him for being unable to answer the question, her thoughts flashing to Calanmai.

Rhysand interrupted the staring contest, addressing the male and ignoring Elain. "I know you feel uncomfortable and I'm sorry for that." He picked up his coffee again. "But we need to think of the greater good here. Vassa—"

And at her name, Elain watched as Lucien's expression darted toward Rhysand, transforming from frustration into resolve. "Well... hmm.. if it will help Vassa..." His voice dropped off as he rose from the brunch table, walking toward the balcony in deep thought.

Rhys nodded and continued his instructions to her as Elain felt a small piece of her break away and die. It was always Vassa, and perhaps it would always be Vassa. Lucien seemed to be focused on nothing other than protecting the mating bond, save for when it came to the charming human woman.

Coming back to the present, Elain watched the shadows trailing behind the Shadowsinger, grateful that he seemed to have chosen a pace much slower than Lucien's whenever they had gone on an ill-fated hike around Patras. He had winnowed them to the surrounding forest near Koschei's lake, and they had been picking through the trees and rocks, waiting for any form of communication from the ancient being or even the Mother herself. Azriel had not really spoken to Elain except for the occasional direction or comment about the local geography. Apparently there was a small human village nearby, and he had already arranged a couple of rooms for the night.