Chapter 35 - Daemati

"I KID you not, she said that." Nesta slammed her hands down, shaking the dining table. "I am no woman. I am fae."

Cassian leaned across the table, bringing his wine glass to clink Elain's, the corners of his eyes crinkled with admiration. "That's our girl." His voice rumbled, nodded approvingly, his eyes flashing to Azriel's. "You've chosen well my brother."

Azriel smiled in acknowledgment of Cassian's well-wishes, though his eyes were trained on the curly-haired beauty beside him, her hand covering her blushing cheeks as she shook her head, protesting the victory talk. Elain's twinkling laughter echoed through the House of Wind, her rosy skin glowing in the candlelight.

"I'm as surprised as all of you," she smiled, taking a small sip of wine, still shaking her head. "Seeing Graysen... I can't believe I was ever heartbroken over him!"

"You're telling me!" Nesta rolled her eyes before grabbing onto Cassian's arm and snuggling into his shoulder. "But gods... I'm fucking happy we were able to stick it to him." Nesta's eyes flashed with excitement before softening. "And save the babies too..." She smiled warmly toward Cassian.

"I wish I could have seen you fight. You're so hot when you're swinging a sword." The General leaned toward her then, catching her bottom lip with his mouth, kissing his mate hard before nearly swallowing her face as Elain looked down at her plate, embarrassment flushing her cheeks.

"Alright, alright you two," Azriel stretched a hand out, swatting at the couple as he shook his head, chuckling. "I've been scandalized enough by the dining room in the house of wind."

Nesta broke away from Cassian, laughter sparkling and echoing off the stone walls as Cassian chuckled as well, stabbing a large piece of steak with his fork.

Azriel sipped his wine, thinking back to chaperoning the mates. The Shadowsinger's lips twitched with an involuntary smirk as a new realization slipped over him. So far, it seemed like him and Elain were turning out to be ten times worse than the happy mates sitting across from him. His mind flashed back to only an hour ago, moments before dinner, taking her against the wall of his bedroom, thrusting into her without restraint, her perfect breast at his lips, his hand gripping her mouth to muffle her moaning cries. His eyes dropped to her neck, Elain's long curls discreetly concealing the bite marks he had left on her skin just yesterday... if anything, it was getting harder to control himself with her, not easier. Despite the fact that they had been at it for almost a week now.

"Thank you for letting us stay with you." Elain smiled warmly, interrupting Azriel's musings, though her eyes betrayed a dark sorrow, no doubt exhausted from the events of the past day.

Cassian and Nesta had invited the newly established couple to come stay with them at the House of Wind for the time being. Things were slowly settling with Rhysand, but Elain felt uncomfortable in his presence. The revelation from their drunken night at the Inn, that the High Lord had been working against them as a couple... it seemed that she had not fully forgiven him for it yet.

"Rhysand is being such a little shit." Nesta spat the words out, causing Elain to choke on her sip of water. Always one to say what was on her mind Azriel chuckled to himself, happy for Cassian's choice in lady.

"Nes!" Elain protested, covering her mouth with her hand.

"He was just thinking of the political side of this all. It's not that he hates Az and Elain together..." Cassian came to his brother's defense jovially, resting a hand on top of Nesta's tensed fist. "And I know he is a firm believer in the mating bond. It's difficult for him to comprehend the Cauldron being wrong."

"He underestimates her." Azriel's dark voice rumbled across the table as he leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms.

"I think he's just self-centered." Elain's quiet voice interrupted Azriel, the gathered party turning to stare at her. "He wanted me to mate with Lucien because it would have been less stress for him and his court."