Chapter 38 - Fucking Hells

Azriel stared around at the gathered high fae.

The High Lords had been arguing back and forth for the past hour, discussing Tamlin's borders. Kallias was still leading the meeting, allowing the other lords to interject with questions in response to Feyre's account of the fortress altercation. The argument was lively for the most part, though Tamlin seemed unamused, bordering on downright hostile. Cassian was dozing off next to an indifferent smirking Rhysand, though Nesta was rigid, her long fingers curled around the glass arm of her chair, her eyes flashing across the circle, following the arguments closely.

Azriel's shadows reported that Viviane and the Lady of Autumn were in their own little world, discussing ideas for an upcoming inter-court celebration perhaps after Solstice, completely tuned out from the debate as servants appeared intermittently, refilling tea cups and wine glasses. Elain was trembling between Feyre and Rhys, avoiding Lucien's gaze to the best of her ability, the High Lady's hand occasionally resting upon her elder sister's fluffy skirts in a bid of reassurance.

"Picts? Pucas? Naga.... And bogges?! In the daylight!? Really Tamlin? How can you expect us to let this go?" Thesan was shaking his head in horror, seeming faint by the descriptions Feyre had offered up of the battle at the fortress.

Tamlin sneered at Thesan. "Survival of the fittest. How is it my fault that humans are not evolved to tolerate these lands?" He glanced at Feyre, his mouth twisting into a wicked smirk.

"Unbelievable!" Thesan croaked, scandalized by Tamlin's flippancy before turning toward Helion in alarm. "I remember an age when the High Lords of these courts placed value on civilized behavior. You would never see this type of rulership in Patras for mother's sake!" Thesan exclaimed the words toward his friend as Helion nodded in agreement, obviously proud that his city had been offered up as an example of valuable civility.

"Thesan is right Tamlin. Do you really expect us to go back to the ancient ways? Dangerous creatures and faeries roaming the lands unchecked?" Kallias' question shot across the circle of chairs toward the High Lord of Spring, who rolled his eyes in response.

"I'd say the lad is quite fond of the concept of allowing beastly creatures free roam of the land." Helion sniffed toward Tamlin as Cassian roused and broke into a laugh, Nesta elbowing him from the other side.

"You might be fine with the Naga flowing into your lands, but the Autumn Court will not have it." Beron shot Tamlin a dirty look before his eyes glazed past Lucien. "And you left our family for this wretch. Pathetic." He spat on the floor, crossing his arms and swiveling away from the young lords at the end of the semi circle of chairs.

Lucien, to his credit, took the blow with grace, ignoring his father's barb, though Viviane seemed to pause her excited conversation with the Lady of Autumn in disgust, her eyes trained on Beron's spittle staining her shining floor.

"Do not forget High Lords, that there were women and children involved as well." Feyre's dark voice cascaded across the room as Elain glanced up toward her younger sister, her eyes dark as Tamlin rolled his eyes.

"Even an high fae babe could not defend itself against a bogge– evolved for these 'lands' or not." Nesta spat at Tamlin, her eyes glowing with an eerie silver flame.

"Heavens!" Thesan huffed, clutching the arm of his chair as he fanned his face with his other hand.

A shudder went through the group, Kallias and Viviane exchanging a look as Tarquin and Lucien shook their heads, their eyes trained on their feet. Tamlin was smirking toward Feyre still, and Rhys seemed to be growing impatient with the proximity of the contemptuous Spring Lord.

"You have heard my mate's account of the battle yesterday." Rhysand drawled, his bored tenor rumbling across the room. "Now please get to the heart of this matter. What is the proposal?"