Chapter 10 - Sleeping Beauty

Azriel's head was spinning.

He fought to steady his breathing, slipping into shadow and allowing the cool mist to eliminate the heat in his body. Thankfully, the sight of Nesta had already done a fair amount to evaporate the mounting need in his body.

But it did nothing to quell the rise in emotion within his chest.

It felt like whiplash— Solstice, kissing her in the garden, Elain fleeing to Patras, almost taking her against the wall in that damn alcove... it was so... unstable.

Dramatic.

Emotional, confusing, and unpredictable: experiences that Azriel had not had since he was freed from his prison as a whelp.

The moment Azriel had been dumped in that Mother-forsaken camp amongst those Illyrian heathens, he had taken back control over his life. He had kept a tight reign on his emotions, his body, who he spoke to, and really... who he allowed in. Loving Mor had been an extension of that self-protection— he knew she would always keep him at arm's length, remaining predictable and safe for the rest of his immortal life. Unrequited love was quite a safe place to be stuck in, he mused.

But then came Elain.

Azriel released his body back into fae form, stepping from the shadows and resting against a cool slab of marble on the opposite end of the corridor. Leaning back his head, he raised a fist to his brow digging in his knuckle, desperately trying to release the building headache he felt growing beneath his skull.

Elain.

She had turned his life fucking upside down.

The beautiful Made-fae, quiet in spirit, tenderhearted and loving... if Azriel was looking for a safe place to land, it was her. She was all things nurturing to him: her listening ear, her sweet heart.

But then there was another side to her, which he found completely addicting. This part of her that wanted to drag him into an alcove, challenging him to prove his love for her, drawing her thigh out of her dress, cocking her hip... she was driving him mad. He wasn't certain Elain knew what she was doing to him, only that she clearly wanted some piece of him.

Feeling frustrated, he pushed off the wall and shook out his wings. Wine. He needed wine. And Cassian. Crossing the corridor and stepping through the first curtained archway he passed, Azriel slipped back into the party, spotting Cassian telling an animated story to Helion and Thesan's lover, Amren and Varian draped on one side and an empty spot on his other. Perfect.

Azriel winnowed directly into the seat, and grabbed a glass of whatever was resting on a tray in front of him, downing the it before reaching for another one.

Cassian, startled by his brother's sudden appearance, paused his story. "Where the hells have you been Az? I'm trying to tell the story of when we captured Krystoxa in the highlands of The Summer Court when we were 122. I can't remember... did I cut his tail off or—"

"Come on Cass. It was obviously me. Your sword isn't long enough to slice through the tail of a firedrake like Krystoxa." Azriel ribbed his brother, laughing along with Helion as Cassian elbowed him back, returning to the story, seemingly happy that his brother had joined.

Feigning to be listening, Azriel surveyed the partygoers, his eyes searching for Elain. He found her quickly, standing with Nesta deep in conversation, leaning over the veranda watching the twinkling fae lights of Patras.

His eyes continued to float through the party, Feyre and Rhys discussing something with Cerridwen, no doubt related to Nyx who was sleeping in his bassinet next to a watchful Nuala while his parents enjoyed the party. Azriel's eyes continued, watching the attendants pass drinks, noting as partiers snuck off together behind the curtains. As he had just done, he realized, his ears beginning to heat.