Chapter 11 - The Fox Vs The Bat

Elain woke the next day, surprisingly refreshed despite the ungodly amount of wine she had consumed the evening before.

Hot morning sun shone through the open archways, and although the Day Court seemed to have enchanted against bugs and critters getting inside the open arches, the staff seemed to prefer a warmer room temperature than Elain could tolerate comfortably. She made a mental note to ask Feyre to enchant her room for cooler air before the Inner Circle took their leave tomorrow.

She rose from the bed, stretching and trying to shake the exhaustion from her muscles, memories of the party flooding her pounding head. Rubbing her temple, Elain sidled over to the vanity mirror, her night clothes falling off her shoulders, trying to collect her thoughts.

She vaguely remembered twirling around with Lucien on the golden dance floor... downing wine with Amren and Nesta, and laughing at one of Cassian's gregarious battle stories. Fitful dreams of Nyx crying, laughing with Feyre and Mor, Pegasi chewing her lilac bushes... Pegasi!

Pegasi. Helion. Lucien.

She reached into the annals of her mind, desperately trying to dredge up more events from last night. There had definitely been an invitation for Lucien to join her this morning for a visit to the pegasi stables with Helion. And glancing at the clock on her nightstand, she realized with dismay she was already running late.

Tugging at the stale curls in her hair, she began to fuss with her face, wiping the kohl from her eyes and searching the vanity cabinet for creams. Thankfully, the Day Court seemed to be stocked with everything a lady even more beauty-minded than Elain would enjoy. Slipping a linen gown over her head, Elain finished fussing with her appearance just as Nesta peeked her head in the door.

"Good morning my dear sister. How are you feeling?" Her sister enquired, leaning against the doorframe. "Cassian somehow woke up ready to exercise and I'm just surprised that I'm alive."

Elain smiled, tugging on a stocking. "I indulged a little more than I typically do." She paused, pulling on some lightweight cloth riding boots. "But it was actually really fun."

Nesta laughed, coming up beside Elain to tie a ribbon around her waist, cinching the linen gown. "Yes, I was witness to that indulgence. Rabbits, and alcoves, and shadows..." Elain cocked her head, unsure of what her sister was referring to. "But good. That's all I want for you. To have fun." Nesta finished tying the bow and patted Elain on the shoulder blades, smiling at her in the mirror.

Elain had always appreciated Nesta's low standards for her in a twisted way. It was simple to please someone who didn't expect more from you than to be beautiful and to enjoy yourself, all from the protection of her wing. But, she wondered wistfully... had she relied too much on those low standards? Allowing herself to drift by in life, just taking whatever was handed to her, not really questioning anything?

Nuala appeared at the door, and Elain greeted her warmly, asking how the evening with Nyx went, laughing with her about the babe's fitful sleeping habits. Settling back in front of the mirror, she requested a fresh braid for her curls as Nesta sauntered over to the sitting area, leaning back into a chair, Cerridwen coming by to offer her a cup of coffee.

Elain focused on her face in the gilded mirror as Nuala raked her long dark fingers through the golden curls, attempting to pull out the matted knots. She wondered if last night's hair would be salvageable for her impending date with Lucien.

Lucien.

Her mate.

Ugh.

Elain hated how she always felt a sense of dread when it came to her mate. She wondered when that would begin to shift, and wistfully questioned if she had ever dreaded Graysen or Azriel the way she dreaded Lucien.