Chapter 36 - Summoned

Azriel knew Elain was afraid of the water.

And that is precisely why he was drawing the bath for them, the sunken black granite tub set low in the room with a view of Lower Velaris, not unlike the view from his balcony. Testing the water with his hand, he decided to add a little more hot water. Turning the handle on the faucet, Azriel waited for the water to fill a little higher, forcing the bubbles on the surface to reach the edge of the bath, brushing up against the silk black curtains framing the candelit window. .

"I don't know about this..." Elain's small voice peeked from behind the heavy bathroom door, her sweet skin wrapped in an enormous towel, her face screwed into an expression of anxiety. "I haven't taken a bath like this in so long...."

Azriel nodded his understanding, reaching toward her and taking her hand, he lead her to the side of the sunken tub. "Let me hold you." He smiled softly at her, taking her other hand and staring at her in earnest. "We can do this together."

Elain nodded, her brown eyes wreathed with fear as she curled toward him, allowing Azriel to scoop her up, the towel dropping to the ground as she closed her eyes. Holding her tight to his chest, he stepped into the water, lowering his body into the warmth. He felt her hold her breath, turning her face into his chest as she tensed up, but he continued to lower them into the tub, the water coming up past her breasts before he sat on the built-in ledge, resting her head on his shoulder as he allowed her to take a breath.

"I've got you." He whispered into her hair, stroking her cheek with his hand. "You are safe with me."

Elain did not reply, her hands still white-knuckled and clasped around his neck, her face pressed into his body and away from the water, every muscle in her abdomen and legs taut and iron bent around him. He could hear her heartbeat racing, her breathing shallow as she gripped him, the water quiet and warm all around them. He knew that she must be travelling back to that fucking river from Patras, or possibly even the Cauldron itself, her heart practically jumping out of her chest as she clung to him.

He allowed her to stay in that tight posture for a while, murmuring into her curls, his lips warm on her head. "I'm here. You're safe." He whispered the words over and over, willing his strength into her fragile body as he quietly added, "I'm so proud of you."

She relaxed slightly, releasing her hand to balance herself in the water. Taking the opportunity, Azriel reached for her hand with his and began moving their palms through the warm water together, swirling and playing until he noticed her hand begin to explore the water herself, her fingers tentatively dancing in the water, touching the bubbles on the surface before diving beneath, her eyes now peeking open, though her heart was still thudding.

"When I faced my deepest fears tenfold, I had no one to care for me." Azriel spoke the thought aloud before realizing what he was saying.

Elain turned to face him, her hand stilling in the water. "And that is when shadow found you?"

Looking down then, at the bubbles, he involuntarily held her tighter before answering. "Yes."

Her eyes, already so sweet, softened even more as she reached a hand up to his jaw, rubbing his face as she shook her head. "To face so much fear... anguish... isolation and pain... to the point that the ancient shadow called to you... I feel as though my fear of taking a bath is quite silly."

"No. Don't do that." He shook his head, pulling her tight to his chest.

"Don't do what?" She asked innocently.

"Downplay yourself. Downplay what you've experienced... I see you do it with your family all the time. You were also in that cottage with Feyre, dying of starvation. You were also bereft of a mother. You were thrown into the Cauldron, just like Nesta... you faced the King of Hybern and lost your father. You've been through just as much as your sisters, yet you sell yourself short." Reaching up toward her temple, he ran his thumb along the outline of her precious face, shaking his head. "Not here.. not with me. With me, you can be honest."