55. Goodbyes

No, this is not the end of the book.

^^^

You were sat between Pepper and Happy with Morgan on your lap as you watched Tony's hologram. You had tears in your eyes but you had to keep it together for everyone especially Morgan and Pepper.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back, it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited. I hope we get it back. And something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe, now. If you told me 10 years ago that we weren't alone, let alone to the extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised, but come on, who knew? The epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And for better or worse, that's reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in. So, I thought I'd probably better record a little greeting, in case of an untimely death. On my part. Not that death at any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow, it's got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. That's the thing. Then again, that's the hero gig, right? Part of the journey is the end. What am I even tripping for? Everything is gonna work out exactly the way it supposed to." He looked up at you and Morgan and she cuddled in closer, "I love you 3000." The hologram then went away. You had to hold back your tears at those words, the last words he will ever say to you.

You held Morgan's other hand as Pepper led the way with the wreath down the stairs of the cabin with Happy and the others behind you, you and Pepper greeted those waiting outside with a smile and continued your way.

Pepper gently put the wreath in the water that had the Ark reactor in it that said 'Proof Tony Stark Has A Heart.' You held back your tears. You were kneeled next to Morgan and Pepper watching it float away.

Pepper was holding onto Morgan and she looked over as you stared at the lake with a numb expression trying to hold it together. She patted your leg and you looked at her and she gave a smile and mouthed 'it's okay to cry.' You gave a sad nod back and looked at the lake. Morgan then brought you into a hug and you smiled and let your tears go.

^^^

You were sat at the edge of the dock with your legs hanging over, after everyone dispersed. You took the flask of Asgardian mead that Thor gave you out of your dress pocket and took a long sip.

You thought about all the memories that you had with Tony, holidays you spent at the cabin, the time you spent in the lab testing your powers, even the times you fought.

Those two years you spent only being able to see him a few times made you regret not talking to him right away. You wished you had that time back.

"Have you gone to see Dr. Jones?" Pietro asked from behind you. You looked back slowly then looked ahead again and took another drink. He sighed and sat next to you. "You've gone through a lot of loss in a short time." He said.

"Thank you for the reminder." You said sarcastically and took another drink.

He sighed again, "Y/n, I'm sorry you're going..." he started.

"I'm so sick of hearing sorry. It's not like you killed them." You interrupted. "I just, I just." You stammered and couldn't get the words out.