ೃ⁀➷ i. the number five

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

caroline harrington had an obsession with the number five. her parents and brother liked to tease her about it, but they just didn't understand. they didn't understand why she had to make sure everything she did be a divisible of five.

she could only start her homework at 4:15 and if she notices the time is 4:17, she'll wait for 4:20. she wakes up at 6:30am, if she sees that her alarm clock is 6:32, she'll wait for 6:35 before getting up. she could only read five or ten chapters of a book per day. it's this burning itch in the back of her mind that causes her to do this.

there were times this amused steve harrington, the girl's older brother, but right now, he wanted nothing more than to get to school. as he sat in his car, in front of his house, watching his sister standing in front of their main door, refusing to get out because it was 6:29.

"come on, care!" steve shouted. he knew they both had an hour left before school officially started, and the drive to school was less than half an hour, but he wanted to spend as much time as possible with his new 'girlfriend.'

but she just stood there, almost lifeless. she didn't have any reactions to her brother's words, as though she deafened any and all sounds around her. then, her watched vibrated and she skipped towards her brother's car.

steve let out an annoyed grunt as he started driving, "do you really have to keep doing that? why can't you just be normal?"

"just shut up, steve," caroline said, turning to her right so she could look at the view. they lived near the woods and whenever they were on the way to school, caroline liked passing by the trees from a worm eye's view.

something about there being things bigger than you and your life's problems brought some comfort to the young harrington. not that she had much problems, unless you counted her family and her obsession with the number five.

"your bike is in the back, by the way," steve said. caroline furrowed her eyebrows and turned around, confirming that her bike was indeed sitting behind her. "i won't be able to take you home 'cause i'm going to be hanging out with nancy."

"damn, i really can't believe you got nancy-miss-perfect-wheeler to go out with you," caroline said. she's never really had a conversation with nancy wheeler, but based on what she's seen from afar, she was far from the girls that were often at the feet of her brother.

"hey, you implying nancy is too good for me or something?"

caroline turned to her brother with fake surprise, "you know what the word 'imply' means?" she laughed as her brother swat her arm. "and yes, i am outright saying that you don't deserve a girl like nancy wheeler."

her brother scoffs as he continues to drive.

in all honesty, she meant it. her brother was just like her father; a total douche. and a girl like nancy wheeler, a girl that's smart and better than anyone, shouldn't waste their time with a guy like steve.

maybe nancy deserved someone like jonathan byers.

caroline had a secret, revolving will byers. and when the two of them often met, jonathan would be the one picking up will. he'd smile when he saw his brother and then awkwardly wave at caroline, the first time. now, he smiles at her as well.

whenever she watches will laugh with his brother on the way out of the library, however, an awful green feeling settles in the pit of her stomach. she wished she and her brother were like that. she wished he'd smile at her when she's the first person he sees in the room. if she were the first person steve saw in a room, he'd be disappointed.

she and steve were never raised to be like that. instead of leaning on each other during the hardships of their life, they'd leaned on other people. that's what a family like their's do, they force them to find love outside of their home.

steve found it pretty easily. he was likeable, despite being a douche. he got people begging him for an ounce of his attention, he had people wishing they were either with him or him.

caroline didn't have that. she didn't have that natural charm her brother had, that compelled people to like him. if anything, she was a repellent for that. it was sad to admit but she's never even had a real friend. perhaps, she could consider will byers one. but she knew, that even that, was a stretch.

it didn't matter, anyways. if she were to ever have friends, she'd like about four. so that they'd make a group of five. but then, where would she find a group of four that would even think about being her friend?

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷D SPEAKS!

first chapter <3 !! i have finally gone around to making this chapter and i am very excited for everyone to read this. 

update: i've decided to change oc's name to caroline harrington! something about maddy just wasn't clicking with me. also the name 'caroline' just gives off 'old money' vibes, which is obv the harrington motto :>