ೃ⁀➷ ii. surviving the jungle

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

caroline often compared school to the jungle. everyone needs something to survive the place.

whilst her older brother had basketball and his popularity, she had her academics and cold demeanor that shielded her from bullies like troy walsh and james dante. they would never dare to cross the harrington girl.

after closing her brother's car door, caroline silently took her bike out of the car and walked away, not bidding steve a goodbye; not that he cared anyways. as she parked her bike, she glanced at her watch, 6:56.

she had to wait another four minutes before she could step inside hawkins middle school. caroline shrugged before walking around the building, hoping that would give her enough time.

what she didn't expect to see, however, was troy and james taunting a group of boys she knew all too well. the group mainly consisted of will byers, dustin henderson, lucas sinclair, and mike wheeler. mike wheeler. how caroline loathed that boy.

but she couldn't think about the hatred she felt for the wheeler boy, when she was too curious as to where will was. the boys were joint at the hip, so where was he?

whilst steve had basketball and his popularity, she had her academics and cold demeanor, the four boys had each other. sure, that didn't save them from bullies, and if anything, it brought them more reasons to be bullied. but, it didn't matter, since they had each other.

through thick and thin, they would always be there. caroline hated to admit how envious she was of them.

but as she watched troy and james corner them, she didn't feel so envious. "who do you think would make more money in a freak show?" one of the boys said. caroline wasn't sure who; she always mixed tweedle dee and tweedle dum up. to survive the jungle, they liked to push their insecurities unto others. they didn't need to survive bullies, when they were the bullies. "midnight, frogface, or toothless?"

caroline titled her head, looking at mike up and down. she let out a laugh when she realized he did look like a frog. she soon regretted it, however, when their attention diverted to the girl.

avoiding mike's eyes, caroline tries to play it cool and walks towards tweedle dee and tweedle dum. "it's called cleidocranial dysplasia, dumbass," she said before titling her head. "now, scram." the two of them looked at each other and ran towards as fast as they could.

dustin henderson watches them run away, as he and lucas sinclair let out a laugh. "how'd you know dustin has cleidocranial dysplasia?" mike wheeler asks and the small smirk on caroline's face falls as she faces him.

"wheeler."

"harrington."

sensing the tension that was rising, dustin henderson coughs and places his hand around caroline's shoulder. "thanks for that, carrie. they're such a pain in our ass."

caroline's glare slowly shifted from mike wheeler to dustin henderson's arm around her. she didn't even have to say anything as he quickly took it off. and caroline swore she saw wheeler snicker from her peripheral vision.

she glanced down at her watch and her eyes widened. 7:00. not even sparing the boys a second glance, caroline raced towards the entrance, not wanting to miss it and have to wait for 7:05.

questions of will byer's presence were pushed to the back of her mind as she panted whilst entering mr clarke's class. the class that caused her to be friends with will in the first place.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷D SPEAKS!

HEY GUYS ! i finished vol 2 a few days ago and im pumped with inspo so i think i might double update todayy. also, i already mentioned this but im mentioning it again, i have changed oc's name from maddy to caroline! i'm not 100% sure i've changed every 'maddy' to 'caroline' so please comment if you notice a mistake!!

this chapter is so short lol but i decided im gonna keep it like that rather than i add unnecessary things to make it longer. i want all the chapters to fit the context of the title so im just going to keep it short!

also...first mike&maddy interaction y'all!