ೃ⁀➷ xix. part of the party

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱

caroline harrington woke up the sound of dustin henderson shouting in her ear. a few weeks ago, the henderson boy wouldn't even dare look at her direction. now, he was waking her up with no fear what so ever.

luckily for the redhead, her dad was in seattle for some conference and her mom went with him. so, she could stay over at the wheeler household for as long as she could.

"i just," mike started as he kept pacing around the room. "i can't believe she didn't come back."

"she's gotta be close," dustin said.

caroline watched as mike approached her with a plate of waffles. where the hell did he get these? but she was more interested in what was taped underneath the plate. it was two nutty bars, and written on top was 'caroline's'. she looked up at mike who was too fascinated with his shoes to look back at her.

hiding the nutty bars, caroline looked up at dustin; who didn't see her interaction with mike. "she said it wasn't safe. she just messed up the compasses because she wanted to protect us. she didn't betray us," mike ranted.

"mike, calm down," dustin said.

"i shouldn't have yelled at her. i never should've done that."

"mike, this isn't your fault," caroline softly said as she took a bite of her waffle and offered some to mike.

he smiled before grabbing one and munching on it. "yeah, it's lucas'."

"not his fault either," caroline added and dustin nodded.

"it wasn't his fault?"

"no," dustin said.

mike turned to the two of them, flabbergasted. "so you're saying he wasn't way out of line?"

"oh, he totally was," caroline said before adding, "but so were you!"

"what?"

"and so was eleven," dustin said.

"oh, give me a break!"

"no, mike, you give carrie and i a break!" dustin shouted and caroline smiled at being included. "all three of you were being a bunch of little assholes! carrie and i were the only reasonable ones. but the bottom line is... you pushed first. and you know the rule. you draw first blood..."

as caroline watched dustin and mike argue, she wondered how fun it must be to have a friendship like their's. their friendship had rules like if you draw first blood... which seemed so appealing to caroline.

"this isn't a discussion. this is the rule of law," dustin firmly said. "obey or be banished from the party. do you wanna be banished?"

caroline couldn't help but smile at how cute mike was. "no".