ೃ⁀➷ xii. that can't be will

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

caroline harrington dropped her bike and ran over eleven when she saw the distant look on her face. she didn't even notice mike catching her bike, trying to prevent scratches on it, because she was too busy running towards the other girl.

"hey, el, you good?" caroline asked, placing a hand on eleven's shoulder. she turned to face the redhead and nodded. mike then handed caroline her bike as she spoke, "hop on. we only have a few hours."

eleven carefully rode on the back of caroline's bike and the group of kids biked away from the wheeler household.

for a while, they biked in silene on the way to the woods. but when they all decided to stop biking and just walk the trail...there was still silence. but as caroline and mike walked side-by-side, they'd soon change that.

"when're your parents getting back?" mike suddenly asked.

"how'd you know they were gone?" caroline said, chuckling.

"nancy... she mentioned it, i think."

"they're getting back the day after tomorrow," she said, nodding her head. then, when silence was about to loom over them, she added, "it's nice you and nancy talk."

mike lets out a laugh. "nancy and i don't talk. we just...coexist."

"oh, trust me, no one knows more about coexisting than the harringtons," caroline said, rolling her eyes. "sometimes...i don't even think my parents love each other. i don't even think they like each other, you know?"

"they must have gotten married for a reason?" said mike.

"yeah, they had reputations to uphold and parents to appease," the girl said, rolling her eyes. "i always vowed that when, or if, i get married, it wont be for my parents. it'll be for me and for love."

caroline looks up from her bike and the two of them share a look. silence loomed over them soon enough, but it was a comfortable silence. and caroline harrington would find herself being comfortable around mike wheeler, a lot.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

after walking for what seemed like, and could possibly be, hours, eleven stopped walking and said, "here."

"yeah, this is where will lives," mike said, confused.

"hiding," eleven whispered.

"no, no, this is where he lives," mike repeated. "he's missing from here. understand?"

lucas, who had just caught up with the three of them, alongside dustin, looked around confused as well. "what are we doing here?"

caroline shrugged. "el said he's hiding here."

"um... no!"

dustin's eyes widened. "i swear, if we walked all the way out here for nothing—"

"that's exactly what we did. i told you she didn't know what the hell she was talking about!"