ೃ⁀➷ xvi. the misery of a harrington

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

caroline harrington stared at her reflection. short red hair, deep green eyes, and a black dress. it was a dress she speficially wore for funerals. what kind of family has outfits for funerals? the harringtons, that's what.

most of the people the wealthy family knew were old. most of them die. derek harrington hopes they die. because the more people that die, the wealthier they get.

but this time, this funeral, derek harrinton hated going to this funeral. because it was the funeral of the former love of his life's son. though he hated the idea of joyce being with another man, he could never wish death on a child. especially a child his daughter's age.

her father was the last thing on caroline's mind, however. all she could think about was will. will byers, the boy her age, the boy who tutored her and helped her grades go up, the boy who was stuck in another dimension.

letting out a sigh, caroline stepped out her room. at the same time, her brother did the same. except, unlike her, he wasn't wearing black. he was wearing what he'd wear on a normal day.

"the hell, steve?" caroline said, causing the said boy to turn to her direction. "why're you dressed like that? it's will's... funeral." it felt weird. calling it a funeral, when she knew he was alive.

"i'm not going... i'm staying with mom," steve explained, as though that made any sense. "look, you know how she gets what mrs. byers is involved. she won't stand being in the same place as her and dad. so, she's gonna stay home. but then she's gonna start drinking because all she'd think about is her and dad."

caroline stared at him. he had a point. "oh... right." she couldn't believe steve was smart enough to think of that.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅

"i heard you've been making friends with ted wheeler and charles sinclair's sons," derek harrington said as he looked at his daughter, who was sitting on the front seat as he drove.

just like steve predicted, addison harrington refused to accompany her husband and daughter to the funeral. derek didn't even push, he just nodded at his daughter and went inside the car.

"oh, yeah, i have," caroline said, unsure of what to say. it was one of the rare occasions she got to sit in the front seat, since it was usually her mom or steve. but now, she wished she was sitting at her regular spot at the back. "and claudia henderson's son."

"who?"

"they're all friends of will. i...i don't know, we sort of got close when will went missing. bonded over our friendship with him, i guess," caroline shrugged as she stammered her words and looked over at the window.

derek let out a hum. "i was friends with them once. ted, charles, even james."

"you're friends with hopper?"