ೃ⁀➷ xxii. just a feeling

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

scott clarke enjoyed science, he loved it. he also loved shaping the minds of the young generation and getting them to love science just as much as him.

but he didn't enjoy anything more than spending time with his girlfriend.

as they sat on his sofa, watching a horror movie, he had never felt happier. watching her scream at the tv was funny for him, especially since he knew all the secrets the movie had into making the cgi so scary.

just as he was about to comment on the use of bubble gum to make the face stretch, the phone ringing caused both he and his girlfriend to jump in shock. he looks down at his watch, realizing the time, and scrunched his nose in confusion. "what in the world?

"do you want me to pause it?" his girlfriend asked.

"i'm sure it's just a wrong number," he said, standing towards the kitchen and reached for the phone. when he picked up, he said, "hello?"

"mr. clarke? it's caroline."

"caroline? is everything okay?"

"yeah, of course. i just have a science question."

"it's ten o'clock on saturday. why don't we pick this up—"

"do you know anything about sensory deprivation tanks? specifically how to build one?" caroline asked, glancing at the people behind her. everyone was either standing up and staring at her or sitting down and staring at her.

mr. clarke stuttered, out of confusion, as he wondered what his student was up to. "sensory deprivation? what is this for?"

"i'm bored."

he paused, wondering if this were true. and when he put together all the facts he knew about caroline harrington, it seemed to check out. "why don't we talk about it monday? after school, okay?"

"i won't be bored on monday. i'm bored now."

"caroline—"

"you always tell me to never stop being curious. to always open any curiosity door we find. why are you keeping this curiosity door locked?" caroline could hear mike snicker from behind her.

mr. clarke sighs.

it didn't take long before caroline was sitting on the table table, phone in one hand and pencil on the other as she wrote all the ingredients her teacher told her they would need. when they were done, she cringed at the sight of her awful handwriting. "yes, mr. clarke, i'll be careful. yeah, i'll see you on monday. i'll see you on monday, mr. clarke."

"do you still have that kiddie pool we bobbed for apples in?" dustin asked joyce byers after reading the list caroline made.

"i think so." joyce nodded her head.