ೃ⁀➷ xvii. growing up together

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

mike wheeler knew there was something off about caroline.

after the funeral, they all went to the funeral home to eat and reminisce about will. she quickly, but silently, walked away from her father and stood beside mike. she didn't say anything, just stood there beside him.

he waited until dustin and lucas went over the buffet table to ask, "hey, you okay?"

"huh?" caroline said, turning to him as though she just realized he was there. "oh, yeah, i'm okay."

"you sure?" mike asks, not wanting to press on the situation but also wanting her to know she could talk to him.

caroline hesitates, "did you know our dads were friends? with lucas' dad and hopper? and mrs. byers, too," she said and as mike was about to answer, caroline kept going, "i didn't. only found out now. they were good friends, mike. you wanna know the reason they aren't anymore? because my dad 'grew up' and fulfilled his responsibilities as a harrington, whatever that meant. then he told me i had to do the same. that i could have my fun as a kid but i'd have to grow up one day. can you believe that?"

mike nods his head as he hands her a glass of water, "drink." not having the energy to say anything, caroline drinks the water with one gulp. "no, i did not know they were all friends. i didn't even think my dad had friends. i'm sure you know the responsibilities of a harrington, care. you guys are rich and smart, there's something to maintain there."

"i know, but..."

"but?"

"i don't want to grow up if it means i won't have any friends, like him," caroline said and she looked at mike. he doesn't say anything for a while, however, just kept looking at her. "mike?"

"it's okay to grow up, care," mike eventually says as he places a hand on her shoulder, "'cause we can grow up together."

caroline sucks in a breath, about to say something, "mike..."

"guys, mr. clarke isn't talking to anyone, now is our chance," dustin said as he and lucas approached the two, not caring if they were clearly ruining a moment for them.

the two pull apart and nod their head, prompting the other two boys to walk towards their teacher, who was getting some food for himself. "mr. clarke?" caroline says, catching the attention of said man.

"oh, hey, there. how are you guys holding up?"

caroline glances at dustin, who was munching on some wafers, she pouts out of jealousy. mike, who watched the expression subtlety rolled his eyes before turning back to mr. clarke, "we're... in... mourning."

"man, these aren't real nilla wafers," dustin muttered.

"we were wondering if you had time to talk?" mike asked.