The temple

The team had walked for 20 minutes before reaching the temple.

It was grey, and overgrown with plants and moss of all kinds. Steep stairs led up to the doorway at the top. The sun was setting behind the temple, and the trees shrouding it made it look mysterious.

"I'm sad Pixal wasn't able to come." Nya frowned. "She would have loved this!"

"I'm a little upset as well, but her duties as Samurai X never cease." Zane explained, never turning his gaze from the temple.

"I know the feeling." Nya replied.

"Stay focused guys." Lloyd interrupted. "We don't know what's going to be in there."

That was a lie. Lloyd knew what was going to be in there, they all knew what was going to be in there. Some ancient crystal caused the surge, they would take it. After a few traps they would make it out alive. When they were done, they would bring it to Misako to study. Misako would end up giving it to the museum.

Kai knew this all too well. But when she turned to look at Jay, he knew something was off. Jay normally had his shoulders resting at his sides, his jaws unclenched, and would be standing on the tips of his toes. A bad habit Jay had was standing on the tips of his toes before any battle.

But Kai grew worried as he stared at Jay. Not at the fact that he knew way too much about Jay's fighting stance. Heck, he knew that much about the other's fighting stances. But the fact that Jay wasn't doing any of that. He had his knees bent slightly like he normally would, but everything else was off point.

Something was definitely wrong.

The team began their walk up the stairs of the temple. Lloyd was at the front, wielding his sword and scouting out the area. Jay was behind Kai, and Nya was in front of Kai. Along with Cole being behind Lloyd, and Zane being behind Jay.

Lloyd's head entered the temple, and they stood around in silence waiting for his signal.

"Clear!" Lloyd shouted.

The rest of the team started their walk into the temple.

When Kai got in it was pitch black, no light, all darkness.

"Kai?" Lloyd called, like a glow in the darkness. "A little light?"

"Oh! Right." Kai shook himself from his thoughts, remembering his elemental powers.

He held out his fist, and illuminated it. It send a soft glow throughout the dark cave of the temple.

"Found some wood!" Cole said.

Kai could hear rattling of some wood, and Cole came into his light. His raven haired comrade held out a peice of wood and Kai illuminated the top. One by one wood peices were handed to him, until every ninja had a peice of wood. Except himself of course, but Kai decided to stay near Jay's glow, as using elemental powers for to long can be exhausting. Especially with him just getting his fire back.

Jay strayed closer to the walls of the temple, and Kai scurried over to him.

"Hey, what is this?" Jay asked, tracing his hand over the smooth markings in the stone.

Zane approached them as soon as Jay asked.

"Markings that have been in this temple for a very long time. How long I cannot detect."

Zane explained.

Jay slid his hand off the stone, and the three followed the rest into the temple halls. Nya turned on a device in her hand, a soft beeping noise sounded from it.

The temple consisted of one straight and long hallway. Vines, dead leaves, and more markings decorated most of the hallway. No traps, no hidden doorways, no villains to jump out at them, nothing.

It was all.. to easy.

"Isn't it weird we haven't seen any traps yet?" Kai said after twenty minutes. "I mean, normally in these types of places there would be."

"This temple is very old Kai." Zane began. "I suppose that traps either weren't though of, or they are to old to work."

Kai could feel Jay shudder from next to him. Jay knew something was up, just like Kai did.

"Guys." Nya sounded. "We're here."