Thunderstorms

"Jay!" Kai called.

Jay was one of the very few lights he had in his life. As Kai never wanted to admit, Kai loved Jay.

Kai wasn't exactly sure who Jay said 'I love you' to, but deep down he was hoping it was him.

There was a thud that echoed throug the cave.

"The crystal has been fed!" Valgurous called.

Tears upon tears welled up in his eyes, then poured out like a stream of guilt.

Now, sitting in a cell that was in the temple, away from the pit, he remembered the guilt and grief he felt just a few hours ago. The way his heart dropped, and how he was on the brink of a panic attack.

He stared at his teammates, who were sleeping against each other in the corner of the cell. They looked so peaceful, they were crying just a few minutes ago. Guess that's what sleep can do to a person.

Kai should sleep, he knew he should. But he needed to watch them. To keep them safe from the monsters who took Jay's life.

There was a small window in the cell. It was very high up, and bars lined it. Kai could hear thunder from outside, and turned his head to face it. He tried to not think of Jay when we heard the lightning and thunder burst. But it was impossible.

He turned his head down and faced the cold stone beneath him. He shivered, it was cold. His eyes felt so, so heavy. He tried keeping them open, but no use, they closed.

"Who say's the great and powerful green ninja needs a team?" Kai said angrily, hoping that Lloyd would get off his back and leave him to do the next fight. "You seem to be doing fine on your own."

Kai had taken on wrestling since Zane's departure. Going by the name "the red shogun." Not a bad name. Jay came up with the name a few years back, and Kai couldn't think of a better name to use.

Why couldn't Lloyd just leave him alone? Why couldn't Kai just have time to greave in his own way?

Lloyd was just like that. Pushing, and pushing until something good came out of all the work.

"I get it Kai, when you run out of bad guys to fight you come to a place like this." Lloyd let left hand scan the pub. "But where's the honor in that? Where's the master of fire?"

"It's the red shogun now!" Kai interrupted, not wanting Lloyd to drag on. "Where's the master of lightning huh?" Master of lightning? That wasn't what he said back then right? "He's gone! But I'm still here. Who cares about honor, it should've been me. I should've been the one who fell into that pit."

Lloyd didn't interrupt him this time, not like he did back then. Lloyd didn't call him selfish, or that he should be thinking of others. He just stared at Kai with a blank expression.

Kai knew why Lloyd didn't stop him, because Kai was right. Kai should've been the one sacrificed. Why did Jay always have to be so stupid? Why couldn't Jay just suck it up and pick him?

Kai woke up, clutching his chest. He looked around, breathing heavily. His team was awake, staring at him with tired eyes that were filled with curiosity and worry. The sun was coming through the bars of the cell, shining down on him

Kai realized it was a dream. Kai had fallen asleep moments earlier. Kai should've stayed awake, to protect them.

Kai let his knees tuck into his chest, and he buried his head into them. For the first time since Jay's sudden departure, he cried.

He felt a hand rest on his back as he sobbed. He knew it was the soft touch of Nya's hands. They rubbed his back in a soothing motion.

"It should've been me." Kai cried. "Why couldn't Jay just sucked it up and chosen me."

Kai knew Lloyd was staring away. He knew Lloyd thought of him as selfish and self indulgent. But Kai didn't care. He just wanted to get his feelings out after a day of burying them. His cries echoed like the thunderstorm that happened last night.

"Jay please.." Kai sobbed. "..come back."