Doors

Just as Nya pulled them to a hult, fire lit up on the sides of the temple. There were huge beast like beings carved in stone on the sides, and a huge door with large markings lay in the middle.

"What.." Lloyd gasped.

Jay knew that they were all thinking the same thing. What just happened?

"The signal is just beyond this door." Nya said after the lights illuminated themselves.

"Are we going to talk about that?" Cole pointed to the door.

"One of us must've stepped on something to trigger it." Zane looked at Cole.

"Stay vigilant guys." Lloyd said. "We don't know what's beyond that door."

"Zane," Nya began. "Can you scan this place to make sure there's no more hidden mechanisms before we go through?"

"Of course." Zane looked all around the temple. "No hidden mechanisms found."

"Alright." Lloyd paused. "Look around, see if there's a clue as to what we might be facing in there."

Jay walked over to the statues laying on the sides, and Kai followed him. Why was Kai following him? Couldn't he make his own fire? Jay ignored this though, and examined the statue.

It was a tall lion like creature in a sitting position. It was barring its teeth, and if it could talk Jay was certain it would be snarling. Much of the statue was chipped away, but it wasn't nearly as old as the temple was. In fact, it looked fairly new? As if someone intended it to look like it had been here for many years, when in fact it hadn't.

"This is new." Jay began. "It looks about only 10 years old."

"What makes you say that?" Kai said from beside him.

"No vines, no cracks, no odd symbols. It looks like someone put it in here." Jay explained.

"But why would someone want to do that?" Kai asked.

"Not sure, but there might be more to this 'power surge' than we think."

"Jay's right." Zane butt in.

"Jay? Being right? Imagine!" Kai laughed, and Jay rolled his eyes.

Jay forgot the temple was silent. It was so silent that everyone could hear Jay and Kai's conversation between each other.

"This is roughly about 15 years of age." Zane examined the other statue.

"Why would someone put this in here?" Nya asked.

"Not sure." Zane replied.

Jay continued to examine the statue, most of it was relatively smooth. It was intimidating when looking at it from far away, but up close not so much. It seemed very majestic.

"Hey guys, I might've found something." Cole said, and the whole team went over to the wall where Cole was standing. Except Jay and Kai, who were still over by the statue.

The whole team was contemplating what Cole had found, and a new conversation filled the cavern.

"Wanna go check it out?" Kai brushed Jay's shoulder lightly.

Everyone was too enthralled with what Jay overheard to be a "jewel symbol" to hear them.

"Not really." Jay half mumbled, continuing his search through the statue.

"What's so special about this?" Kai cleared his throat.

"I'm not sure." Jay brushed his dark brown curls from out of his face. "It just feels like there's more to this than we're seeing."

Jay knew that there was something there, something that was different than anything else in the room.

The statue screeched to the side a little, and Kai groaned.

"A little help?" Kai asked from the other side of the statue.

Jay knew Kai was on to something, and dug his hands to the back legs of the beast. The two began pushing back, little by little it disconnected itself from the wall. They stopped when there was enough room for both of them to fit.

Jay snuck behind the lion hybrid, Kai along with him. There was a gem stone symbol on the back.

"Cole?" Jay called. "Can you come over here?"

"Sure!" Cole replied, and walked over.

Cole poked his head behind the lion.

"Is this the same gem symbol you saw?" Jay asked.

Cole stayed silent for a minute, and examined it. Cole was great at identifying symbols, and seeing what ones were different. Cole was the best at those "spot the difference" types of things.

"Not really." Cole began. "It's the exact same symbol but," Cole traced one the the lines facing him with his finger. "This line is crooked. As if someone wanted to replicate it fast, as cheaply."

Cole returned with the others to explain the news, and Jay and Kai squeezed themselves out from behind the statue. A tight space that's for sure.

The team was in the middle now examining the door, Lloyd informing them of what they might see once they opened the door.

"Ok, so this might be a scam type of thing. Drawing some locals in with this whole gem facade." Lloyd explained. "So prepare for some thugs, B class thugs at best."

Suddenly, the door swung open with a bang, and they faced their new possible enemy. There was only one person there. A very tall man, wearing a long red cloak. He was dressed in fine golds, and red rubies.

There was silence for a moment, and the person just stood there.

"I have made my judgement!" The person in the center called. "A choice must be made!"

Cole hit the floor, eyes closed. On top of him was a short thug dressed in black, a small hammer on him.

More and more of them charged them, and a fight broke out. Weapons clashed against hammers, and the thugs were very very skilled. Not at all what Lloyd described as "B class villains."

Jay tried his best against one of them, using some very creative moves to stop them. He knew skill alone wouldn't help him here, so he continued to fight using his intellect.

Lloyd fell to the ground.

"Lloyd!" Zane yelled, and rushed over to him.

Then things started to go downhill.

A thug jumped on Zane's back, and hit him in the back of the head so many times that Zane fell to the ground.

Nya ran over next, throwing some water at the thugs.

Two more thugs jumped on to Nya, swarming her. Nya ended up falling to the ground.

"Nya!" Kai began to run over.

"Kai don't!" Jay yelled back at him, rushing to his side.

Kai breathed and the two fought, their backs against each other. The thugs were very weak against lightning and fire, and Kai and Jay ended up defeating most of them.

A thug got the better of Kai, climbing up his sides, and making it to his head. Kai tried his best to get the little guy off, but he just ended up being hit in the head and passing out.

There Jay was, all alone again. His whole team incapacitated, and leaving him by himself.

Jay's breathing got heavier than before. He couldn't do this. Not again.

Jay fought on impulse, hitting and kicking wherever he could see through his tears.

Two thugs got the better of him at this state, and Jay felt something heavy hit the back of his skull. Sleep seemed so welcoming, so pleasurable.

Jay shut his eyes, and welcomed the dark.