chapter eight

A yawn escapes her lips as she wakes up to streams of honey hues casting themselves upon her bed. Maverick had told the pilots yesterday that they had to be at the base at 'the ass crack of dawn'.

Dakota got up out of bed after contemplating her life choices, and went straight to the bathroom; wanting nothing else besides finishing Mav's starting training sequences. Groggily, the female brushed her teeth, washed her face and threw on her jumpsuit.

She strolled through into her kitchen, quickly prepping a breakfast before Phoenix would arrive to take the two of them to the base. 

As a honk was heard from the front of her house she groaned, reluctantly grabbing her bag and headed out the door.

"Hey sexy, you don't at all look like shit," sarcasm laced in Natasha's voice as she got into her car. Dakota gave the girl a look, "I actually think I look decent for having to wake up at five a.m." A small smile made its way onto both of their tired faces.

Dakota gazed out the rolled down window, watching the sun rise over the horizon, causing everything to look angelic, golden light being soaked in. The wind blew against her face, she inhaled deeply, trying to clear her mind; which has been occupied more than she'd like to admit of thoughts of one Bradley Bradshaw.

Who was he to just come back here, and antagonize her, after being the one who stormed out that night. After all these years, Dakota never truly understood why he was so upset with her. They were both fighter pilots, both being dangerous occupations, so it was a given for her to be deployed as soon as she graduated Top Gun. She was trailing right behind Hangman for the duration.

She wanted to be mad at him, to treat him the same way he treated her that very night. She hated how her heart clenched at the memory, how her chest got heavy if the thought brushed over her mind. Dakota vowed to herself that she wouldn't tell a soul, except Phoenix, (of course), of  her true feelings towards him. It hurt her more than she'd like to admit when she first came to terms with them.

-

"Good morning aviators!" Maverick's overly enthusiastic voice rang throughout the hangar, mumbles of 'good mornings' in response from the pilots. A tight lipped smile and a nod of his head, "Right, so moving forward to today," He walked up to the podium, overlooking the Top Gun graduates. The screen behind him lit up with everyone's naval profiles, paired up with duos and single pilots, "Last day of training sequences, this time I chose the groups, wanted to see how you all work with different duos, that's for you solo pilots."

Dakota moved her eyes along the screen, seeing she was paired up with Payback and Fanboy, a small smile on her face as she looked over at Payback, who was already looking at her, sending a cocky wink her way, causing her the chuckle lowly. She turned her head slightly, going to look forward again, when she felt an oh so familiar gaze on her, causing her to meet Rooster's eyes. His jaw was set firmly, hands gripping his thighs as he adjusted in his seat, his tongue tan over his cheek; before her exhaled and broke shifted his eyes back to Maverick.

She looked forward as well, eyes drifted to her lap as she played with her fingers, sighing heavily.

Her mind was swirling, feeling heavy, full of different thoughts. Did she want to continue what they had? Did she want to put  herself through that again? The sky feeling like it was constantly crushing her bones each time she opened her eyes from the blissful nothingness of sleep. The memory of his skin against her own lighting a fire in her that she knew had been far from being reciprocated.

She hated herself the more she thought about it, the way her mind was split; logically screaming at her not to go through that again, given the fact that it could be prevented quite easily.Yet emotionally, he was the first real man that ever showed any type of interest in her, and she craved that attention.

A light hand placed itself on her thigh, the comforting eyes of Natasha looked at her, a slight concerned expression on her face with her eyebrows furrowed, "Hey," Dakota pulled her eyes to hers, "Are you okay?" She nodded, "Yeah I'm fine, just still trying to wake up." Phoenix mouthed an 'okay' as she moved her hand to Dakota's knee, as she listened to Maverick once more.

"To recap, since I'm sure none of you have been up before the sun in god knows how long," A quiet chuckle came from Dakota, at his sarcasm, "Training sequence, same as yesterday , pairs are posted behind me. Hangman, Phoenix and Bob, you guys are up first. You all are dismissed." She stood up along with Natasha as she wished her good luck with a hug and a quick peck placed in her cheek.

Before she turned around, arms wrapped themselves around her neck lightly, pulling her body into a hard chest, "Ah yes, a dream team," The unmistakable voice of Payback stated, as she turned around to be met with his contagious smile. "I've got the best duos with me, we are the dream team, Payback."

They walked out of the openness of the hangar and into a room that overlooked the tarmac, joining the other pilots.

Who you got your bets on, Mustang?" He asked as they sat across from each other, casting her a smirk, "I mean I don't know I think we got a pretty good shot. What other solo are you and Fanboy flying with?" Dakota questioned, watching as the others gathered around the radio that was placed in the room. A beat, "Rooster; but don't worry you're my favorite, and always will be." She nodded her head, trying to cover up the sliver of jealousy that briefly washed over her at the mention of his name. She may have conflicted feelings towards him, but boy did she fucking hated his guts.

"Yeah she's your favorite solo until you're flying blind." A smooth, yet obnoxious voice spoke, one that could make her horn yet angry at the same time. The two of them looked at Rooster, who was looking out the window, watching the F-18s take off. "Wanna say that again, Rooster?" Dakota asked, her heartbeat accelerating as she stood up and walked towards him, her eyes roaming the side of his face, taking in every single scar that was delicately placed along his skin.

"I said," he turned to face her. She cursed herself as she felt her breath get caught in her throat, he smirked lightly at her reaction, "You're a selfish bitch who doesn't know how to care for others." The sound of the chatter from the radio buzzed in her head as her vision went red.

The next thing she knew she launched herself towards the tall man, tackling him to the ground, straddling his hips as she threw punches at his (beautiful) face, making him lightly smile as she hit him.

Firm hands pulled her off of the Rooster, struggling against the strong body as she flailed her arms, elbowing, trying to break free. "Hey, HEY!" Payback raised his voice, as Coyote gave Bradley a hand in standing up. Dakota calmed down, her breathing still heavy, nostrils flared as she watched him dust off his clothes as if nothing happened, "What the hell happened Mustang?" Payback questioned, wrapping his arms around her neck once more as she placed her hands along his forearms, trying, desperately to calm herself to stop from punching the shit out of Rooster once more.

A deep inhale from her, as she closed her eyes before opening them once more, seeing Bradley cast a smirk at her as he chatted nonchalantly with Coyote.

"Nothing," she stated, as she walked out of his calming grip, "Nothing happened I just-" She looked out the window, watching the F-18s aggressively fly in the sky, the training sequence being the last thing in her mind now. "I just need some air."

PAIGE SPEAKS
now this one i'm not as proud of but hey it's a chapter out! 🫣🫣

i'm so sorry i didn't update yesterday, i was trying to write and finish the outline for this story.

now for this chapter i TRIED to give a more look into dakota's inner thoughts and like what exactly she thinks about bradley... whatd y'all think about that? please let me know🧎‍♀️🧎‍♀️

and i was also thinking of posting another top gun book, but im not sure who to make as the love interest, hangman, rooster, or phoenix?? please let me know who you guys would prefer.

no scenes in this one or the next chapters, expect sex in 10 is all i'm saying 🤭🤭🤭

also 20K ??? NAD OVER 800 VOTES? THANK YOU GUYS SO MUC!! much love <33