chapter twenty eight

"Don't think you're getting into that jet without wishing us good luck, Mustang." Dakota turned around, squinting her eyes as a smile spread on her face. Phoenix, Bob, Payback and Fanboy walked towards here. Well, Three of them did, Payback ran up to her, wrapping his arms around her waist and spun her around. "Reuben, put me down," she gasp, trying to take breaths from her laughter.

She truly was thankful for her friends; for them taking the hardship that was weighing down on her mind from this mission, from Bradley.

He only squeezed harder, "I can't breathe, bud." She lightly tapped his shoulder, feeling her boots hit the ground below her. Payback muttered a quick 'sorry' and placed a quick kiss on her forehead before backing away. She sighed heavily, bringing a hand up to shield her eyes from the sun, her teeth glinting in its bright hues.

Bob walked up to her, a small smile tugging on his lips, "C'mon Floyd, always so serious." She said jokingly, pulling his body into hers, sighing contently as his arms wrapped around her neck, placing his chin on the crown of her head.

She didn't talk to the man continuously during the duration of their training, but she did grow an attachment to him, from hearing stories of him from Phoenix, or just asking how his day was when the three of them were together.

Dakota pulled away, going up on her toes and placing a small kiss on his cheek, which made him blush which she always thought was adorable. "You got this Bob. Make me proud." She whispered, a smile still on her face.

Now, Fanboy quite literally shoved Bob out of the way, which made Dakota feel slightly bad for him, but not for long before his bright smile met hers. Much like Payback, he wrapped his arms around her waist and spun her around, catching her off guard. "Mickey, I've already been spun around once today, put me down." She heard him chuckle at her words, as he squeezed her one last time like Payback, and set her down. "Sorry ma'am." He jokingly said.

She scoffed at him, lightly swatting his chest before cupping his face, and brought his head to her lips, placing a small kiss on his forehead as well. "No need for apologies."

Repeatedly, she told herself she wasn't going to cry anymore than she did today; but after seeing Phoenix with cloudy eyes, her bottom lip trembling ever so slightly, she was done for. They both made their way towards each other slowly, the stinging of tears becoming more apparent the closer she got.

Phoenix's hands tugged on her waist, pulling Dakota into her as she threw her arms around her neck, as a single tear rolled down her cheek. She breathed in her flowery scent, comfort washing over her, much like it did with Bradley. "Please don't die on me up there." She softly muttered into her neck, sniffling. Phoenix chuckled, her fingers tightening around her waist, "I won't."

The two of the embraced for what felt like forever but in reality was only a minute. Both hesitantly letting go of each other.

She watched as the four of them walked off towards their own jets. What was once a wholesome feeling latching in her chest, now becoming determination; her focus set on the mission.

A deep breath inflated through her lungs as she closed her eyes, taking in the last few moments she had of fresh air before the canopy to her jet closed. She flexed her fingers around the controls, her mask dangling on the side of her helmet as she let out the breath she was holding. The peacefulness behind her closed eyelids disappearing as she opened them, blinking rapidly as her pupils adjusted to the harsh sunlight beating down on her.

People hustling around her, getting their ropes and take off procedures in check before the five jets took off from the carrier. Loud whistles and crashing waves falling deaf on her ears, the beat of her heart pounding out the noise.