chapter thirty

Dakota leaned against the wall of the Hard Deck, a rum and coke in hand as she swirled it around, the ice cubes of the beverage hitting the side of the glass. Her curly hair was pulled up off her neck in a messy bun, her baby hairs too short, making them frame her face, some of them cascading down the back of her neck. Rooster's old Naval Academy hoodie hung off her shoulders, engulfing her frame and hiding the black shorts she wore underneath.

Once the group of Top Gun graduates  completed their mission, they took a few days to relax and reciprocate. Dakota having faint bruising along her hips, thighs, and neck from those days, curtesy of one Bradley Bradshaw. Then, once the weekend was over, on a rainy Sunday night, Hangman had texted the group chat that they had made and suggested they had a beach day in celebration.

And so, that's exactly what they did. After hours they spent hanging out, chasing each other, and once the sun had set under the horizon, casting a pink glow on everything, they had decided to head up to the Hard Deck, just letting loose, drinking, with not a care in the world.

She watched as Phoenix and Hangman were leaned over to pool table; sticks in hand, and nothing but competitive friendly banter being exchanged between them. Halo, who Dakota learned who's name is Callie, has been spending a lot more time around Phoenix and them, was sat in the windowsill that was behind the pool table.

The two of them casting lingering glances across the room, and she couldn't forget the quite intimate hug the two of them shared that she saw happen in the crowd of celebration that was on the deck of the carrier.

Rooster had his hands placed on the corners of the pool table, leaning his weight on it as he 'judged' the game that was currently going on. His tanned figure was clad in a pair of jeans that were tight around his muscular thighs, and a loose, Navy shirt that hung off his shoulders, the sleeves of his stretching around his biceps with each movement he did. His sun-kissed hair sat on his head in his loose lazy curls. The apples of his cheeks were tinted pink from the time they spent on the carrier, his dog tags hanging proudly from his neck, the silver chain peeking out from the neck of his t-shirt.

Every now and then, he would look up to her, mouthing the words 'I love you' or just simply raking his hazel eyes up and down her exposed legs, making her chest pound occasionally.

He walked over to her once Phoenix and Hangman declared yet again another round of 9 ball. With a huff he sat down in the barstool next to hers, and pulled her seat closer to his, throwing his arm around the back of her chair as his fingers hooked around underneath her knees, pulling her legs onto his lap.

Still, even after almost a week of finally admitting her true feelings to the man, she found herself blushing at the stupid compassion he showed for her; always touching, kissing, looking, teasing her. Like earlier today at the beach, he couldn't keep his hands off of her, trailing his fingers along her ribs or kissing up her neck, she didn't know how to react.

She looked up at him, a smirk tugging at her lips, "Got tired watching?" He shrugged, as he placed his large, rough palm on her lower thigh, his thumb rubbing into her skin lovingly. "Well I couldn't bear to be away from you for any longer, honey." He grinned, proud of himself. She scoffed, "That was just cheesy, Bradley." He leaned in, placing a lingering kiss on her temple, "Only for you."

He smiled down at her, seeing how the dim lighting in the bar soaked into her golden skin, making the few freckles that were dashed across her face more prominent. She felt him trail his finger tips up and down her bare shoulder, where his hoodie hung down. "You know bagman, you're never gonna win," she shouted at him, adjusting her legs that were on Rooster's lap, hooking her arm under his bicep, laying her chin on it.