chapter ten

After the group of Top Gun graduates taunted Maverick during his pushups, Fanboy came up with the bright idea for a trip to the Hard Deck, and of course they all agreed; they would be crazy if they didn't.

Dakota sighed as she leaned her back against the bar top, a beer held lightly in her hand as she watched Rooster and Hangman bend over the pool table. Once again her eyes drifted over his back which was faced towards her, the way his muscles flexed underneath his unbuttoned shirt, which she always secretly loved on him, but she didn't say that.

A sigh came from her left, Penny leaned over from the other side of the bar, a rag thrown over her shoulder. Dakota turned so the one of her elbows was propped on the counter, facing her. "So how's the war between you and Bradley?" she smiled, motioning her head towards the male. "How's the sexual tension between you and Mav?" she shot back.

Penny's mouth opened slightly, her jaw set, "Okay," they both laughed lightly, "Okay yeah I deserved that, but," she went to help out some other customers that were aligning the bar top, "I'm not gonna stop asking about you and Bradley, ever since you told me about what went one between you two during your time at Top Gun," Penny turned back around, serving Dakota another beer, "Its been all that I can think about." A shocked expression covered her face, "Wow! My sex life is all you can think about?" A sarcastic tone, "I am just honored, Penny really I'm honored."

"You know what I meant, Dakota," the older smiled, "Like ever since you guys have been called back it's like you can't keep your eyes off of him," A groan came from her, "Damn Penny you didn't have to call me out like that." They both laughed, "Well that make out you two had in my bar was very hot, is all I'm saying." Dakota blushed ferociously, "You saw that?" she downed an aggressive swig from her beer, "Yup, his hand around your throat and everything. Didn't take him for one to be into choking-" "Okay I'm gonna stop you there, and change the topic before it can get anymore past PG-13."

She sighed, glancing over her shoulder to lock her eyes on Bradley as she spoke, "What's going on with you and Mav this time?" Dakota watched as a bashful smile overtook her features, a light blush dancing upon the apples of her cheeks, "I don't know, that's the thing. It's almost as if we're drawn to each other even though he's broken my heart so many times." She reached out to caress her hand, rubbing soothing circles along her knuckles, "Well, I'm sure in the end it'll all work out, I mean you guys are deemed to end up together, been calling in since Top Gun."

Penny chuckled lightly, "Thank god you love beer or else I don't think I'd have anyone to talk to." Dakota downed the rest of her second beer of the night, a slight buzz clouding her head, "And thank god you gave me beer when I was nineteen." She stood up, placing money on the counter top as she pulled down her oversized shirt, that brushed her mid thigh, "As fun as this bonding session has been, Mav made call time seven a.m. so I better head out." Penny leaned over, placing a loving kiss on her cheek, "Better go say goodbye to Bradley, he hasn't stopped eye-fucking you since you walked in."

She walked over to the pool table, wrapping an arm around Phoenix's waist, as her eyes glanced at the pool table, "Aw poor Bradshaw, Hangman is beating your ass."

Rooster gave an annoyed look to her, his hands flexing around the pool stick, "That's because I'm good Mustang," Hangman looked up at her, as he was aiming, "I'm very good." A scoff came from her lips, "Yeah okay. I just came to say that I'm heading out." "Damn already, Mustang?" Payback asked, as he walked towards the girls who were leaning on each other, "Mhm, considering Mav made call time unbelievably early again." She placed a kiss on Phoenix's cheek as she did the same, the walking over to Payback to give him a hug, "I'll see you guys tomorrow."

Series of goodbyes rang through the bar as she walked towards the door, not casting Bradley a look, she silently cheered at her self control.