6 | MISS REBELLIOUS |

Outer Banks, Thornton's houseJuly 5th, 202011:16 am

July 5th, 2020
11:16 am

After a long night of resting sleep, the dazzling bright sunlight passing through the beige curtains of my bedroom woke me up. I looked over at the sparadrap on my stomach, and with a frown on my face, I slowly peeled it off. I left out a groan and extricated from bed, stepping into the large adjacent bathroom.

My phone kept ringing as I showered, but I didn't capitulate, because I needed time for myself. The whole investigation the Pogues had brought me into was indeed stimulating, but it was too much danger for almost zero outcomes. In fact, I usually did not flinch upon trouble and uncertainty, but this time it was different. Because I had planned on having a chill summer, not one starting with a bullet right in the abdomen.

I walked down the stairway, after covering my wound with a new bandage and slipping a large t-shirt over my shoulders so no one would ask questions about it. My mother was sat down at the dining room's long table, her eyes glued on her computer's screen as she scrolled through the amount of professional e-mails she had received through the night.

"Hi mom," I voiced, grabbing an orange from the fruit basket hanging. "Where's Topper?"

"At the Cameron's," she just answered like she was too busy to extrapolate. "Bring Gaby out, he's getting on my nerves"

Her fingers tapped rapidly on the computer's keyboard, and I laughed as our dog started to lick her legs asking for attention. She sighed and I kneeled, tapping on my thighs with the palm of my hands. My dog stared at me and kept his four paws on the white tiles under the table.

"Come on my boy, let's go play outside," I instructed and he trotted over to me.

I made my way to the garden, grabbing one of his favorite toys on the way, which caused him to bark excitedly. After opening the french windows and making sure he had followed me, I ran in the grass. He woofed and ran to where I had thrown his little toy, before bringing it back to me a few seconds later. He knew we could do this for hours, because every single time I came over, I was the only one entertaining him.

"Well, I've began thinking you're harder to have on the phone than Elisabeth II," a voice called out behind me.

I rotated and caught sight of who had been harassing me for hours now, without ever giving up, which had caused me to turn off my phone and almost throw it in the pool of despair. John B came closer confidently and caressed my puppy who was already jumping on his fore legs. "Hi my cute boy"

"Well next time try to call the Queen instead," I snapped as he opened his arms and I gave him a quick hug. "Maybe she'll reply"

"Why weren't you responding? We need you," he selfishly spoke, as I pulled away from his chest.

I resisted the urge to slap him right in the face and took a deep breath to calm myself down. He must have noticed my facial features suddenly turning stricter since he locked his eyes in mine so he'd have my entire attention. The handsome boy ran his hand through his brown hair, waiting for an answer.