14 | OUR STUPID BOAT |

Outer Banks, Heyward's shopJuly 9th, 202011:02 am

July 9th, 2020
11:02 am

Of course this had to happen. A I reached the fishmonger shop, the police car was already parked but no one was outside. I hurried inside and as I discovered Shoupe handcuffing Pope's wrists, I felt like throwing punches. It wasn't fair Pope was suffering just for payback, when I knew for a fact my brother deserved it. "Take a look at the warrant," Officer Shoupe said as Pope's eyes filled with tears.

I went closer and as the policeman's eyes laid on me, I kind of hoped he'd ask for my opinion and let him go, but his dark glance told me otherwise. "What are you doing?" I asked the policeman.

"You're just arresting my boy?" Heyward spoke with a calm tone, as always.

Shoupe didn't respond, he leaded Pope out of the shop as we all stepped behind him, ready to defend our friend or son. I was the first in line when the officer turned around and I was so close from him it looked like I was trying to intimidate him so I stepped back a little.

"Let him go! He didn't do shit!" I yelled at his face as Pope winced. "You're hurting him!"

"I don't owe you explanations, Miss Thornton, okay? It's him we saw on the videos, not someone else," Shoupe tried to reason me.

"It's my boat okay? Please remove all the charges pressed against him!" I ordered.

Shoupe laughed as if it was funny and it drove me insane he didn't take me seriously. I wasn't a kid, I knew was what right or not, and what he was doing to our golden boy wasn't okay. I threw a rapid glance at Heyward who looked confused and upset at the same time, but not at Pope, at Shoupe as well, and once again he showed us how much of a good father he was to Pope.

JJ grabbed my hand and pulled me back, and I couldn't believe he was giving up as well. JJ wasn't the type to just give up on protecting a Pogue, or anyone else he cared about, so why would he just let Shoupe take him and pull me back? I looked at him and he pressed his fingers more against mine, to give me strength, I assumed. But I read in his eyes that he didn't do it to make me feel better, but to feel better himself.

"It wasn't him!" JJ yelled as Pope was about to get in the police car. "It was me!"

"JJ, stop it," I breathed, as he kissed my hand and walked closer from Shoupe.

"He tried to talk me out of it but I was mad cause Tessa and him had been beaten up," he explained. "I was so sick of those assholes from Figure-Eight that I lost my shit. But I can't let you take the blame for something I did, you got too much to loose"

My eyes filled with tears even though I knew this was a tiny bit more fair. They had never told me it was JJ's plan but I had kind of guessed it the second they had told me they had sunk my boat, since Pope wasn't the type to involve himself in some serious troubles on purpose.