A Chance Encounter: Part 1 *SJ*

A Walk in the Park

It was a gorgeous Summer day, there was a subtle enough breeze to keep you cool, and the sun wasn't overbearing as is usually the case. With it being so nice out, and with a five year old literally unable to keep from bouncing off the walls you'd decided it was the perfect day to take the little one to the park.

School would be back in session in two short weeks, and the time for such frivolities will be nonexistent between your volunteering at the school thrice a week, and your day job. Plus, most of her free time will be spent at Jess's, as they're "only available" on the weekends which as of late hasn't even been the case so you're doing your best to fill Angie's days with happy distractions.

"Angelina, what do you say to a picnic in the park?" You called out to your nearly six year old, butter knife in hand as you got started on making some sandwiches for the two of you.

You were honestly shocked at how fast her head had whipped around, only to be followed up by the fast paced pitter pattering of her tiny feet as she ran into the kitchen, her tiny body excitedly slamming into your side.

"Mama! Are you serious?"

"Of course I am honey, why else would I be making us PB&J's to go?"

Her squeals make your heart feel as if it's about to burst, and her wide smile inspires one of your own.

"Go get dressed then my littlest love, it's nice outside so a t-shirt and shorts would be just fine, no need for anything warm. No sandals though honey, closed toes shoes only..."

She'd ran off before you could even finish your "momming", and you moved just as quickly to pack up the lunch bin, entirely excited yourself to have the day off to spend with your daughter before she's off to your ex's for the weekend.

Angie returned to the kitchen to find it empty, so she set of and found you in the garage just as you'd expected her to, and you met her with a smile. Pride filled you at the sight of her, she'd put on a pair of tie-dye jean shorts, a light blue t-shirt, and a pair of classic adidas. She even took the necessary initiative to place a couple of corresponding clips into her hair, pushing her dark brown hair out of her face, and giving you the perfect view into her light brown eyes that were encircled and spotted with traces of grey, and they shined with a giddy innocence.

"Oh wow, you look beautiful honey."

"Thank you mama, are we ready to go?"

You nodded your head then lifted her buzzing form up and into a hug—one that you had desperately needed.

"You're the best mama ever!" Angie squeals as you attempt to securely buckle her fidgeting form into the car, the struggle reminds you of your—forever in limbo—gym membership.

"Yeah, and you're the best daughter ever." You reply with the same enthusiasm, leaving a kiss to her nose and a pinch to both her cheeks.

"Joshua was the best son ever, right mama?" Her innocent question catches you off guard, and your heart hurts at the mention of your late son, but you keep it together for her.

"Yes he was, and you know what, he was an even better big brother."

"Mama, I miss him." She whimpers, and you stroke her cheek with your thumb to comfort her, and nip the brimming tears in the bud.

"Me too angel..."

You gently closed her door, wiped away at your own stray tear with your thumb, then you rounded the car, and took a steadying breath before hopping in with a simple smile sent your daughters way through the rear view mirror.