The quest that nearly ruined us (part 1) | Kirito x Asuna

Author's Note: This story is a two parter and was inspired by a dream I had of watching a non-existing SAO movie that doesn't have a name, as well as an episode from Teen Titans. It happens after the events of Alicization and within the world of Unital Ring. I woke up at 5:00 am to write the idea down so here it is! Da da da daaaaa! part one in its full edited glory! - also Reki Kawahara, hit me up, yeah? I've got such good ideas about how to strengthen the bond between Kirito and Asuna.

Enjoy the madness of feels below. Don't say I didn't warn you.

PLEASE NOTE:

(the mentioned mechanics of an 'O system' being in place, weapons being connected to their handler's HP, sentient NPCS, or the HP level depleting rapidly IS NOT canon by Reki Kawahara and is made up by yours truly for the sake of the story because I thought it sounded cool.)

P.s. I'm alive, just updating whenever because I'm trying to get through University with my sanity still intact.

~ Haru

_____________________________________________________________________________

KIRITO'S POV:

We soon arrive at the arched gates within the cave. The decals covering the metal structure depict the caricature of a northern god fighting a caricature of himself. The first is painted in gold while the second is painted in silver.

"Interesting..." is all I can say, as the old man continues telling Asuna and me the story of his woes. He's frail and using a stick to stand upright made out of a rare, harvested tree bark-like material called 'Barkite'.

I notice a crystal pixel run down the NPC's cheek. It's programmed to simulate crying at a specific point during the cutscene that Asuna and I are currently involved in.

See, ever since I lost my dear fri- No, my brother in arms, Eugeo. I have never been able to treat other NPC's in the same way that I treated him. I've turned cold to the NPCs that inhabit Unital Ring. Asuna's noticed this, along with just about every other member of our party/guild. I treat virtual people as what they are. Pixels, binary code, nothing else.

Even if he wasn't actually a real person in the end...Eugeo was different.

Eugeo was alive in his own way.

The only virtual person that I can't bear to be cold towards is mine and Asuna's adopted in-game daughter, Yui. I love her as if she is my own daughter and even the thought of casting her aside while I deal with my inner demons makes me feel sick in the stomach. I just can't do that. What kind of father would I be then?

Get it together, Kazuto.

That's when I hear Asuna clear her throat which snaps me back into reality. I notice the NPC paused in place.

"I-I'm sorry! How...long was I spaced out for?"

"Ten minutes..."

I turn to Asuna and look at the chestnut-haired fighter apologetically with a half squinted eye, bracing myself for one of her famous punches.

She sighs and instead of crossing her arms over one another or giving me a playful punch to the arm, she gazes at me with concern growing in her eyes.

"Where did you go, Kirito?"

"I didn't go anywhere, Asuna, I-I'm right here," I say, followed by a warm smile to reassure the berserk fighter.

That's a lie.

I may have been physically there in the room with her but mentally I was anywhere but there. Ever since I've stepped foot into this new world, I feel...different. It's honestly as if I don't actually want to be in virtual reality anymore.