Alice vs Asuna - chapter 9

I take a deep breath, the coldness of the winter night can be felt in my lungs.

I exhale, finding myself suddenly placing my hand upon Asuna's back and rubbing it slowly as an aid of comfort.

Asuna looks up at me, her eyes were still watery from her tears.

"Asuna I-"

She cuts me off.

"I-It's bad enough I have to put up with Alice living with you, Kirito... do you know how much it pains me to know that some female other than your sister and mother, lives with you and probably hangs out in your room with you a lot!"

I wince.  "Asuna, Alice is just...-

"Stop defending her!"

"I-I'm not!"

"Then why do you let her get away with things!?"

"Huh?" 

"You let her live with you-"

"Because she had nowhere else to go..."

"...but cleaning and cooking for you?"

"Out of respect for us letting her live with us, Alice cooks and cleaned for us to show her gratitude, that's all.

I nervously smile and chuckle.

Asuna looks at me again with her saddened eyes.

"A-and to act alright as she addresses people and acts like a wife to you!?"

I bite my lip. "Ah, that's a tough one..."

Asuna glares at me. "Oh? Aren't you forgetting? You already have a future wife!"

I feel my body tense.

"Asuna?"

"..It should be me...." she mumbles.

I inch closer to her to hear her mumble.

"What?"

"I-it should be me w-who cooks and cleans for you!"

I blink in confusion.

"It should be me who addresses myself as your wife!"

"Hey, Asuna!"

"It should be m-me...who calls your mother, 'mother' as if we were inlaws!"

I pat her back softly.

"I-it should be m-me...who can only kiss you!' Her voice, hoarse. 

She buries her head into my chest as I remain kneeled down on the cold and hard ground. 

I hold Asuna tightly in my arms, stroking her hair softly to calm her down.

Whenever Asuna's stressed, I'm always there to stroke her hair when needed.

I'm always there to make her feel better.

After a few moments of silence, I hold Asuna's cheek, our eyes meet as we still remain in our embrace.

"Asuna."

She looks up at me.

I think I just found a way to fix things with Asuna.