Chapter 8

I am at my locker getting my books out for my next class when Steve comes bounding over to me "have you seen Nance anywhere?" He asks me

I am at my locker getting my books out for my next class when Steve comes bounding over to me "have you seen Nance anywhere?" He asks me. I close my locker and place my books in my bag "nope." I say about to brush past him when he catches my wrist. I have to refrain myself from reacting and putting him on his ass, I just look over at him wide eyed "why didn't you come over last night?" He asks.

This catches me off guard, I yank my arm out of his grip and try to ignore the soft expression he is currently giving me. "Because the last time I went to one of your parties it was the worst night of my life." I explain trying not to sound bitter but failing, it's still a soft spot for me. Steve runs a hand through his dark hair "I am just trying to be nice." He says "you're one of Nancy's best friends. I want us to get along."

I tilt my head and give him a skeptical look "you know you made my life a living hell since middle school right?" I ask, Steve starts going red and I continue "and when I came back you continued to be an ass? So no, I don't want to be your friend. Not even for Nancy." I start to walk away and as I do I add "she's outside talking to Barbara's mum on the phone."

-

When school is over Jonathan and I walk over to his car, I'm going back to his place to keep him and his mum company. On the way up we see Steve and his friends, no Nancy in sight. When he sees us Steve jumps off of the car "hey man." He says casually putting his hands in his pants pockets.

"What's going on?" Jonathan asks clutching his bag tightly, "Nicole here was, uh, telling us about your work." He explains gesturing to the red head beside him. I frown looking over at my friend standing next to me "we've heard great things." Carol says and Jonathan goes a little pale. "Yeah, sounds cool." Tommy adds.

Steve cuts through his friend and says "and we'd just love to take a look. You know, as.... Connoisseurs of art." Jonathan sighs and tries to move past them. "I don't know what your talking about." He mumbles awkwardly and Steve steps into his way while Tommy takes his bag.

"Please give me my bag." My friend says weakly "no, just..." Tommy throws it at Steve who catches it smoothly. I step forward "stop it guys seriously." I say but they don't listen "man." Steve says pointing at the Byers boy "he is totally trembling. He must really have something to hide." I move over to him and try to snatch the bag back.

Steve holds it out of my grasp and places a hand on my hip, stopping me from moving. "Now, now Princess." He says softly "we are just having a bit of fun." I narrow my eyes and step back, just so he stops touching me. Then he takes out the picture and flicks through them.

"Oh man." He muses and Tommy reaches over "let me see" and they all start looking at the photographs. I have no idea what they even are but Jonathan looks sick. "Yeah this isn't creepy at all." Carol says holding up a picture of them all playing in the pool last night. I raise my eyebrows and look at my friend who explains "I was looking for my brother." Steve sighs and shakes his head gently "no. No this is called stalking."

He is getting riled up now just as Nancy walks over. "What's going on?" she asks and Tommy smirks playfully "here's the starring lady." Nancy looks confused "what?" She pulls the strap of her bag further up her shoulder. "This creep was spying on us last night." Carol explains glaring at the two of us "yeah and Henderson was probably there too, that's why she didn't show up."

I roll my eyes and cross my arms "I have better things to do. Not everyone is obsessed with you." I bite earning another glare. "He's probably saving this one for later." Carol finishes handing Nancy one of the photos. The brunette looks down at it with a puzzled expression while Steve clicks his tongue "see, you can tell that he knows it was wrong, but... man that's the thing with perverts. They just can't help themselves."

I place a hand on Jonathan's arm supportively as we watch Steve rip up his photographs. "So." Steve says as he does it "we'll have to take away his toy." He throw the ripped up photos at us and walks back over to Jonathan's bag. "No please." My friend begs "not my camera." My eyes widen as I realise what he is about to do but then Steve holds out the camera "here you go man."

Jonathan moved to take it and Steve let's it drop out of his hand and smash on the floor. In that moment I see Jonathan's heart break and I glare at the group in front of me as the laugh and start to walk away. I take Jonathan by the hand as he picks up his camera "come on, let's go." Nancy bends down to pick up some of the ripped photos when her boyfriend calls her leaving her scurrying after him.

"Let's go." I say gently tugging at my friends hand, I stop at the car and call out "you are an asshole Steve Harrington." Earning me a middle finger back.

-

I get home and Dustin is immediately on me in tears. I frown, clutching him close "Dustin?" I ask "what happened?" He continues to cry as I lead him into the kitchen and make him sit down. I wipe away his tears and let him take a moment to gather himself. My brother sucks in a shuddering breath, I let him squeeze my hands tightly.

"Will he- he." Dustin says between sobs "Will's dead. They found his body at the quarry." My heart shatters for the second time today and I pull my brother towards me. Rocking him back and forth while stroking his hair comfortingly "it's ok." I soothe gently "it's ok." Even though I know it's not.