Chapter 40

The kids climb into the car as I stuff Steve into the back seat, despite being knocked out he seemed kind of peaceful

The kids climb into the car as I stuff Steve into the back seat, despite being knocked out he seemed kind of peaceful. If only we all had that luxury. "Alright." I say snapping back and snatching the keys from Max's hands "since I am the only one that knows how, I am driving." Max groans but doesn't fight me on it. I climb into the drivers side and start the engine.

Soon we are racing from street to street, Steve's car is pretty strange and I have to get used to working it which makes my driving a little sloppy. "Keep holding the ice to his head." I instruct the kids in the back, eyes focused on the road and how eerily quiet it is. I hear a light groan coming from the back before Steve says "Nancy?" And I know he is looking at Mike who is sitting next to him, they look very similar. There is another groan before Dustin says "no don't touch it." And I risk a quick glance in the rearview mirror to see what is going on. Steve looks over at Dustin who gives him a bright smile "hey buddy." He says lightly before shushing him. If only I had Rosemary's powers, I would be able to make him fall asleep again. Alas I don't.

"It's ok you put up a good fight." Dustin says soothing "he kicked your ass but you put up a good fight. You're ok." And soon Steve is passed out again. Max, who is sitting in the seat next to me turns her head "are you sure you know where your going?" I nod, clutching the steering wheel tightly "yes." I say with confidence "of course I do." Lucas then leans between the two chairs in the front "okay, you're gonna keep straight for half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai." I roll down the window and light myself a cigarette. "Thank you Lucas." I say as he ducks his head back.

Steve, who apparently didn't pass out again like I had assumed, asks in a slurring voice "what's going on?" I quickly look back at him, his face the picture of complete confusion. He then starts laughing historically "oh my God!" I smile weakly before turning back to the road in front of us "its ok Steve, it's ok." I then speed up just as Steve starts loosing his shit completely. "What's going on?" He shouts scrambling to sit up "oh my god! no! Whoa! Stop the car. Slow down." No one listens to him, especially not me because if we have a chance to help the others of course I am going to take it.

"I told you he's freak out" I hear Mike snap at my brother, before he can return the sentiment Harrington shouts loudly "stop the car!" I take a drag of my cigarette before yelling out over everyone "everybody shut up! I'm trying to focus!" Max clutches my arm tightly. "That's Mount Sinai." She tells me "take a left." I nod and turn the steering wheel the right way. Everyone is screaming because of the pace we are going and I just take another drag.

When we finally stop everyone gasps in amazement and I just roll my eyes "you guys are so dramatic." Before flicking my cigarette out of the window and opening the car door. Once I've climbed out and realise the others are still in the car I snap "do I have to do this by myself?" Before they start to race out of the car. We open the trunk and start to get everything we need out when I hear a thump. I lean around the side of the car and see Steve lying on the muddy ground.

"Guys." He groans as I go over and help him, I get him onto a seat and pat his cheek gently. "Stay here." I whisper before kissing him on the cheek and heading off with the others. "Hey!" Steve shouts "where do you think you're going?" I smile gently "just stay there Harrington, me and a bunch of middle schoolers are off to save the world."