Chapter 55

"I need to go find the others

"I need to go find the others." I say "Max, El and Mike." The other teens all look at me. "I'll come with you." Steve says about to get out of the car, I shake my head, glancing over at Billy  unconscious behind the wheel "No you guys go, I'll be fine." Jonathan nods, staring at me intensely "Stay safe." He says and I smile weakly "you too."

I watch them speed off into the night, the Mind Flayer racing after them. I suck in a breath and send up I silent prayer to whatever God is listening that they will be safe before turning and heading towards Billy. I lean into the car and check his pulse, he is alive but barely. I move away, wiping the blood down my pants before heading towards the gate leading to the back entrance to the mall. I lost the three kids when running away from the monster, I assume they found a safe place to hide. Just as I open it however I hear sputtering from behind me, I turn my head and watch as Billy stumbles from the car, wiping his mouth of blood. A door in front of me bursts open revealing the three children. My eyes widen and I shake my head "Go back!" I order as Billy spots us "Go back inside." The three kids spot me, Mike and Max holding Eleven in between them. I run behind the gate and shut it again before Billy can reach us.

We race through the halls, hoping to put as much space between us and Max's stepbrother as possible. "In here." I motion towards an elevator and those three head for it. Mike is frantically pressing the buttons when a door down the hall bursts open. I snap around, standing in front of the three kids and watching as Billy comes strolling casually down the hall. "Billy," I say swallowing hard "Billy, you don't have to do this. You can be a good person." He doesn't say anything, doesn't even react.

He just slaps me with the strength he shouldn't possess, slamming me into a wall. I hit my head and start seeing stars in my eyesight, feeling lightheaded. Crap. I fight consciousness, struggling to stand as Mike tries to fight the older boy with little success. I say slightly when I finally stand and I grab onto the wall for balance for a second, just in time to watch him throw El into a wall. All three kids are unconscious. Shit. "You are such a nuisance, Lorelei," Billy says although it doesn't sound like him, this Billy sounds cold and calculated. "I could say the same for you," I say breathlessly, one arm clutching my side. He smirks cockily before grabbing my head and slamming me into a wall. The darkness claims me then.

-

"Lori." I hear as someone shakes me, I gasp awake and sit up. I knock heads with someone and wince when that happens. "Ouch," I say rubbing my forehead, Max is doing the same and Mike helps me up. I look around, "Where's El?" I ask not seeing her anywhere. The others look at each other anxiously "We think Billy took her to the monster." Max says and my eyes widen, "What?" I ask even though I heard her clearly. "Where would he go?" I ask panicking now, I was supposed to look after them and I have failed "We don't know." Mike admits.

I scratch the back of my neck, thinking carefully. "Alright well, we can start in the main lobby and work from there." We race towards a door that will lead us there.