Chapter 15

Eleven is in the bathroom while the rest of us stand around, as if in limbo

Eleven is in the bathroom while the rest of us stand around, as if in limbo. I am pacing, biting the inside of my cheek nervously. Richard has been suspiciously quiet since he announced he has something else to do and it has set me on edge to say the least, I assume every shadow is him and get ready to shoot my gun. Mike starts explaining Eleven's power to us "whenever she uses her powers, she gets weak." He says trying to comfort both his sister and his friends mum who are close to breaking down. "The more energy she uses, the more tired she gets." Dustin helps explain.

"Like she flipped the van earlier."

"It was awesome."

"But she's drained."

"Like a battery."

Joyce then gestures with her hands as she asks "well.. how do we make her better?" and all three boys shake their heads "we don't." Mike answers "we have to wait and try again." Nancy places her hands flat down on the table in front of her "well, how long?" She asks, stress leaking from her voice and her brother shrugs "I don't know."

I am still pacing when Eleven finally reappears and says "the bath." Everyone spins to face her. "what?" Joyce asks gently and Eleven looks between all of us, she clearly hasn't been around people very much as she seems anxious. "I can find them." She says "in the bath."

Dustin gasps as he realises what she means "a sensory deprivation tank." He says as though it was so obvious "do you know how to build one of those?" Jonathan asks as he leans on the table. He shakes his head, taking his cap off the adjust his hair before putting it back on "no but I think I know who does." And he heads for the phone, taking a note pad and pen with him. He dials a number and Nancy leans over to me "who is he calling?" She whispers and I shrug leaning towards her "I don't know." I whisper back. We are all silent as we watch my brother.

"Mr Clarke?" Dustin says when the person finally picks up "its Dustin." There is a pause as he lets the other person, Mr Clarke, speak. "Yeah, yeah. I just, I... I have a science question." Another pause. "Do you know anything about sensory deprivation tanks?" My brother asks almost shouting the question down the phone "specifically how to build one?" Dustin hesitates after a moment and says "fun."

I look down at my hands and notice Jonathan slide his own one into mine, I look up at him and he gives me a weak smile. "You always say we should never stop being curious." My brother argues with the person on the other side of the phone "to always open any curiosity for we find. Why are you keeping this curiosity for locked?" Jesus Christ who knew my brother could be good at black mailing someone?

When he finally ends the call he looks over at all of us and asks Joyce Byers "do you still have that kiddie pool we bobbed for apples in?" she looks back at the boy a little confused but answers "I think so yeah." Dustin nods, acting as though he is a middle aged man as he sats "good. Then we just need salt. Lots of it." Hopper sits down next to me and asks my brother "how much is a lot?"