Chapter 10

Jonathan and I arrive at his house after dropping Nancy off home

Jonathan and I arrive at his house after dropping Nancy off home. As I get out of his I frown "is that a hole in your wall?" I ask pointing in the direction of what looks like someone going at it with an axe. He sighs and puts his hands in his pockets "probably." he muses "mum has gone a little crazy lately." I shrug and follow him up the path. I can see my breath in the air as I let it go "I don't believe in the word crazy." Jonathan snorts and I smile.

He unlocks the front door and stops, I walk straight into his back. Wincing I rub my nose as a male voice says "hey kid." I move so I stand beside Jonathan and shut the door. Joyce Byers is sitting on the couch with..... Lonnie Byers? What the hell is he doing here? Jonathan narrows his eyes accusingly at his parents sitting together "what's going on?" he asks, slipping his hand into mine comfortingly.

"Your dad's, uh, gonna stay here tonight." Joyce explains "on the couch." She is slurring her words as she clutches a bottle of alcohol. Thats the only reason he is allowed in here, because she is drunk. Lonnie leans forward and says "yeah, I'm here as long as you need me." I scoff louder than I meant to and his eyes flit to me in surprise "who's this?" He asks. I cross my arms and answer "I'm not surprised you don't recognise me, the last time you saw me. Jonathan and I were both what? 7? Will even younger." He sits back, recognition slowly creeping onto his face "Lorelei?" he asks and I slowly clap, sarcasm leaking from every movement "ding ding ding." I say.

Jonathan squeezes my hand so I stop talking, "how are you holding up?" Lonnie asks his son who goes over to what is a massive hole in their wall. I was right. "What happened?" Jonathan asks completely ignoring his fathers question, "don't worry about that."He tries to brush it off. Jonathan shakes his head "mum... that thing you saw before, did it come back?" Lonnie stares down his son. "Jonathan thats enough." He warns and I cross the room to stand with my friend. Jonathan ignores his father again and turns to his mum "can we talk?" he asks "without him." he shoots his father a dirty look.

We go to his bedroom, his father following us inside "you need to leave." he announces. The older man sighs "look, I know you're upset. We all are. But you need to listen to me. Your mother is sick. Really sick." Lonnie stands up and comes towards us, Jonathan pushes me slightly behind me. A kind but unneeded gesture "Yeah well, you don't belong here." the younger male argues "you're just making things worse, like always." Lonnie scoffs and looks from side to side.

"Worse?" he asks in shock and Jonathan raises his voice to match his fathers "yeah." Lonnie shakes his head. "She took down that wall with an axe." He signals to the wall "she said that Will was inside and that he's talking to her." Jonathan doesn't break eye contact but squeezes my hand tighter "maybe he was." he spits back angrily. Lonnie gestures with his hands and says "this isn't some kind of joke. Your mum was half frozen to death when I got here. Trembling, scared out of her mind. You come in here and you start feeding her hallucinations or whatever the hell you want to call it, you're gonna push her right over the edge."