Chapter 52

El is still screaming in pain, everyone frozen and unsure what to do

El is still screaming in pain, everyone frozen and unsure what to do. "What is that?" Erica asks staring at the other girl's leg, which I realise has something wriggling under the skin. "There's something in there," Mike explains, breathing heavily. Jonathan rises to his feet "Keep her talking." He tells us "Keep her awake, okay?" We nod and turn back to the young girl on the floor. As the older Byers runs off Mike leans over Eleven, keeping himself in her view "Hey, hey. Stay awake, stay awake." He pleads "Let's get her on this side, on this side." We start to move her so we have easier access to her leg.

"You know, it's not actually that bad." Robin says nervously, unsure what she has gotten herself into "There was a.. the goalie on my soccer team, Beth Wildfire, this other girl slid into her leg, and the bone came out of her knee, six inches or something it was insane." Everyone, including me, just look at her in shock. "Robin." Steve says gently "You're not helping." Jonathan comes running back then before anything else can be said with a bunch of supplies.

Between pants, he starts talking again "ok. All right, El? This is gonna hurt like hell ok?" A couple of us grab onto her, to make sure she doesn't move too much while Jonathan tries to do this. Jonathan hesitates and we lock eyes "Just do it, Johnny." I say and he takes a deep breath before digging into Eleven's leg with a knife that I assume he cleaned beforehand. Eleven starts screaming in pain and it takes most of the kids to hold her down.

My friend looks like is about to be sick as he takes his gloved hands and digs around in the wound he just made making El scream more. Everyone winces at the goriness of it and several people go a little pale. "Stop it!" Eleven shouts "Stop!" And Nancy pushes Jonathan back gently. El falls back into my lap and I stroke her hair "I can do it." She whimpers before sitting herself up "I can do it."

Everyone watches her in shock as she uses her abilities to pull out whatever is trapped in her leg. A wall of glass behind us shatters with the force of her powers and I cover Max as shards of glass go flying everywhere. Finally, Eleven throws whatever was in her leg far away from us and we watch it as it wiggles away. Only for it to be stomped on by a boot. We all look up and see Hopper, Joyce and some random man I've never seen before.

-

"The Mind Flayer." Mike starts explaining as everyone trades the information they have found out through their own investigations. "It built this monster in Hawkins, to stop El, to kill her and pave a way into our world." I rip off my bloody jacket and throw it to the floor. Steve silently offers me his but I shake my head and cross my arms, turning my attention to Nancy who has started talking "and it almost did. That was just one tiny piece of it." Hopper, who is sitting with an arm around Eleven protectively asks "how big is this thing?"

Steve starts pacing beside me nervously and because he is irritating me and I wish for him to stop I offer him my hand. He hesitates at first but then takes it, offering me a small smile "it's big." Jonathan answers the older man, his eyes flickering to mine and Steve's hands "thirty feet at least." The younger boys nod their heads in agreement and Lucas adds "it sort of destroyed your cabin."