Chapter 63

"It was here

"It was here." Max says explaining what she saw after Nancy and Robin join us. She points her torch at a blank wall "A grandfather clock?" I ask still slightly confused by what Max witnessed while in her trance. She nods "It was so real. And then, when I got closer, suddenly I just... I woke up." I can't imagine how terrified she must have been, knowing she was in a dream and yet having no way to escape. "It was like she was in a trance or something." My brother says standing close to me "Exactly what Eddie said happened to Chrissy." Max then turns to face us, tears in her eyes "That's not even the bad part." She assures us "Fred and Chrissy, they both came to Miss Kelly for help." She explains as we make our way back to the councillor's office. 

Both Dustin and Steve stick close to me and I know one is because he wants to protect me and the other because he knows I can protect them both. "They were both having headaches, bad headaches that just wouldn't go away." Max explains once back in the office "And then... then nightmares. Trouble sleeping. They'd wake up in cold sweat and then they started seeing things. Bad things. From their pasts. These visions, they just, they kept on getting worse and worse until eventually.... everything ended." I suck in a breath and lean slightly closer to Steve, who wraps an arm around my shoulder comfortingly. I don't miss the sideways glance that Nancy gives us.

"Vecna's curse." Robin states and a shiver runs down my spine. "Chrissy's headaches started a week ago." Max continues talking "Fred's six days ago. I've been having them for five days." My heart leaps in my chest and I feel like I am going to be sick. "I don't know how long I have." Max admits "All I know is that, for Fred and Chrissy, they both died less than 24 hours after their first vision. And I just saw that goddamn clock so looks like I'm gonna die tomorrow." There is a sound from somewhere in the building that makes us all jump, allowing me to hide my tears. 

Steve looks around at all of us before saying "Stay here." I move over to where Max is and pull her into me, she cries silently and I wish this wasn't happening. So much, I wish it was me and not her. Steve leaves to investigate the noise and the rest of us follow him. We then bump into someone who makes us scream, that person screams as well and holds out their hands to protect himself "It's me!" A familair voice shouts "Lucas?" Nancy asks and we all relax. I place a hand over my heart, feeling it race "Jesus, what's wrong with you?" Steve shouts, a lamp still in his hand. 

"I'm sorry." Lucas pants, just as scared as the rest of us. "I could have taken you out with a lamp." Steve states angrily, Lucas throws up his hands, still panting "I'm sorry guys. I was biking for eight miles. Give me one second, shit. We've got a code red." The older teens all give each other a look "What?" I ask unsure of what their codes mean. "Dustin." Lucas says going over to his friend "I've been with Jason, Patrick and Andy, and they've gone totally off the rails. They're trying to capture Eddie, and they think you know where he is. You're in terrible danger." My brother looks at him in a state of shock and honestly I don't blame him. 

Lucas wouldn't exactly win best friend of the year award right now. "All right. Yeah, that defiantly sucks." Dustin replies calmly "but we've got bigger problems than Jason right now."